Associate Registrar, Exhibitions
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Established in 1979, we are the only artist-founded museum in Los Angeles. We are dedicated and committed to collecting, presenting, and interpreting art created after 1940. We have a diverse history of ground-breaking, historically-significant exhibitions. We provide leadership in the field by identifying and presenting the most significant and challenging art of our time, actively supporting the creation of new work, and seeking artists from diverse backgrounds. With two distinct venues in Los Angeles—MOCA Grand Avenue and The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA—and Michael Heizer’s seminal artwork Double Negative (1969-70) in the Nevada desert, we engage audiences through an ambitious program of exhibitions, educational programs, and publishing.
About this job
The Associate Registrar, Exhibitions performs all duties related to museum registration for exhibitions, including shipping logistics, installation, and budgets; and assists with the overall general care and maintenance of the Collection as needed.
Roles & responsibilities
Coordinate with the exhibition management, curatorial, exhibition production, security and visitor engagement departments to ensure the smooth and safe installation, exhibition, de-installation and shipment of artworks. Implement all technical aspects of temporary exhibitions including budgeting, information organization, insurance, and installation/de-installation. Coordinate transport and insurance logistics with lenders, artists, and galleries.
● Under the supervision of the Director of Registration and Collections, develop and implement policies and procedures to facilitate the safe handling, storage, condition reporting, and conservation of incoming loans.
● Work with the exhibition management, curatorial and exhibition production departments to establish project schedules to accomplish exhibition objectives.
● Review loan forms, insurance policies, and exhibition contracts, and ensure adherence to all lender requirements.
● Coordinate and arrange courier travel, per diem, airfare, and accommodations as required for traveling exhibitions.
● Organize installation, packing and condition records for MOCA travelling exhibitions.
● Supervise all unpacking, moving, handling, and installation of objects by exhibition technicians.
● Develop, manage, and maintain exhibition budgets.
● With Director of Registration & Collections, assist with insurance review, contract review, and best practice evaluations as needed.
● Prepare and supervise projects for junior registration staff.
● Work closely with curatorial, education, and communications departments to ensure works of art are protected during in-gallery events.
● Assist with the general care and maintenance of the Collection as needed, and other tasks as assigned by the senior registration staff and the Director of Registration & Collections
● Minimum 5 years of registration or related experience required.
● Verifiable knowledge of museum best practice standards for the care and handling of
● Experience arranging domestic and foreign shipping and knowledge of customs
● Detail-oriented, with excellent organizational and communication skills.
● Must be flexible and work well independently as well as part of a team.
● Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally.
● Computer experience with the G-Suite of applications, and collection management
software (preferably TMS).
● B.A. degree, preferably in Art History or related field.
● Interest in contemporary art a plus.
$65,000 - $70,000