- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people experiencing food insecurity, and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are collected in Los Angeles and Ventura counties from backyard fruit trees, farmers markets, growers, and wholesalers at the Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market and beyond. This recovered produce is provided free of charge to people experiencing food insecurity through hunger relief organizations that serve community members in various ways, such as food banks, homeless outreach agencies, domestic violence shelters, transitional youth homes, veteran services, family resource centers, LGBTQ+ teen/adult/senior services, college student assistance programs, programs serving people with disabilities, and many more.
Food Forward Core Values:
– Creativity: We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
– Joyfulness: We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
– Committed to Food Justice: We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
– Authenticity: We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds, and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
– Disciplined: We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
– Community-minded: We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
About this job
Food Forward is seeking candidates for a new position of Grants Coordinator to join its growing fundraising team. Working primarily with the Grants Manager, the Coordinator will provide critical support for the grant-seeking process, helping to cultivate and steward grants from foundations and government sources. Specifically, the person in this role will help draft and proofread proposals and reports that communicate the organization’s programs and accomplishments in a clear and compelling way, as well as keep detailed records about funders and grant requirements. The role provides a great opportunity to learn about developing nonprofit programs and the philanthropic landscape.
Application Deadline: Rolling interviews starting August 2022
Desired Start Date: September 2022
Salary: $47,000 - $52,000 (Non-exempt)
– Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
– Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
– Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
– Cell phone allowance
– Telecommuting and Work flexibility
Roles & responsibilities
The ideal candidate will have a positive, “can-do” attitude and is able to work collaboratively with staff and volunteers in a diverse and fast-paced environment; is highly self-motivated, proactive, and organized, with exceptional attention to accuracy; is flexible and has the ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously; exercises good judgment in handling confidential donor information; and has a keen passion for food justice and strong alignment with Food Forward’s core values. The candidate will demonstrate their ability to write persuasively and have excellent interpersonal communication skills to engage a wide range of donors and philanthropic staff.
– Work closely with the Grants Manager to ensure timely and accurate completion of the grants lifecycle: research, outreach, letters of inquiry, proposals, site visits, and reporting
– Assist Grants Manager in researching and compiling necessary documentation for grant applications and reporting requirements
– Coordinate and support the monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects funded by grants
– Maintain Salesforce CRM for grants management and detailed records about funders
– Work with development team to ensure accurate and timely acknowledgement process for both stewardship and compliance
– Prepare CEO, CDO, Grants Manager, board members, and others for funder meetings, site visits, and other cultivation
– Assist the team with fundraising campaigns, such as list management, donor outreach, writing and proofreading, events as needed
– Keep informed about Food Forward activities for accurate and engaging funder communications; conduct food system research to contextualize and inform Food Forward’s work
– Support the organization with other special projects as needed
– Excellent written communication skills; demonstrated ability to manage deadlines required
– One to three years’ experience in nonprofit grant writing or fundraising preferred
– Experience working with Salesforce and/or similar CRM or donor software is highly valued
– High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications required
– Administrative support experience is a bonus
– Must be willing and available to work occasional nights and weekends
– Bachelor’s degree preferred
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the cover letter include 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a variety of produce what would you be and why? The subject line should read: Grants Coordinator – (Your Name). No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.