IT Help Desk Support Specialist
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
First 5 LA believes the case is clear that policy makers must prioritize young children in policy and budget decisions – because our future success as a state depends upon it. Nearly half of the state’s children live in, or near, poverty. California is first in per prisoner spending, but 46th in per pupil spending in education. California continues to prioritize spending on programs for residents when problems are most acute – treatment services, child welfare, incarceration, school remediation – and lags the country and the world in spending on access to proven prevention programs like quality early learning and home visiting programs for new parents.
The impacts of ignoring our children are clear: statewide, only 45 percent of third graders read at grade level and child care can cost parents as much as in-state college tuition at the University of California. It will take grit by decision makers and elected officials to address these challenges.
First 5 LA, as part of the network of First 5s throughout the state, will help by sharing what we have learned since our inception, by bringing parents, community members, and diverse partners together to help create lasting solutions, and by advocating for investments in proven early childhood systems and supports for California’s youngest children.
First 5 LA’s structure and staffing have been designed to better enable us to advance our goals and focus on those policies and resources that will yield the greatest benefits for kids in L.A. County. Our Board of Commissioners provides guidance and direction to our leadership and staff to implement our Strategic Plan.
About this job
Under the direction from the Director of Information Technology, First5LA’s Help Desk Support Specialist is responsible for providing a high level of customer service and for installing, configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining Microsoft Windows and Mac OS laptops and workstations. The position provides front line support for all desktop hardware, software, desk phones, cellular phones, conference room audio-visuals, as well as other peripheral devices including but not limited to multi-functional copiers, printers, etc. The Helpdesk Support Specialist works closely with other members of the Information Technology Team to support all end user devices. The objective is to ensure that customer-focused value is maintained to the standards set forth by the Center for Operational Excellence.
Roles & responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The IT Help Desk Support Specialist is expected to exemplify the organizational values of collaboration, integrity, learning, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the execution of their key areas of responsibility:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Provides first level contact and resolution to customer issues by efficient and timely management of the organization’s helpdesk ticketing system (FreshService)
- Should be available and responsive to immediate needs of customers
- Preserves and grows knowledge of helpdesk procedures, products and services
- Trains users in basic software features, as well as the basic care and operation of desktop and laptop computers, printers and other related peripherals
- Interacts with other internal groups, IT staff, contractors and vendors to resolve technical problems
- Acts as first point of contact for all First 5 LA IT helpdesk calls, tickets, requests and needs
- Communicates, logs, tracks, routes and redirects problems to appropriate resources
- Updates service request data and produces activity reports
- Walks customers through problem solving process
- Follows up with customers, provides feedback and sees problems through to resolution
- Maintains the organization’s desktop computing environment which includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining and upgrading all hardware and equipment while ensuring optimal performance
- Diagnoses and resolves client issues in an efficient and professional manner
- Provides end user training and assistance where required including receiving, prioritizing, documenting and actively resolving end user helpdesk requests and escalating incidents when appropriate and necessary to maintain SLA expectations
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Under general supervision this position may be called upon to support the organization’s Data Center, Network Servers, Wireless and Applications groups in various aspects as needed.
- Provides on-call support when needed.
- Assists with the deployment of new mobile devices
- Coordinates staff onboarding and offboarding with other members of the IT Team and HR
- Develops and maintains hardware asset inventory and other IT related equipment on a regular basis to ensure IT’s equipment is accurately accounted for, and to assist in managing equipment purchases
- Performs configuration and general troubleshooting of iPhones, iPads and broadband devices
- Installs computer peripherals for users
- Gains feedback from customers
- Provides Audio-Visual support for meetings when necessary
- Properly escalates unresolved issues to the next level of support
- Ensures proper recording, documentation and closure of issues
- Recommends procedure modifications or improvements
- Documents solutions and incorporates into a knowledgebase
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations
- Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values diverse perspectives
- Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
- Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
- Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
- Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Role Specific Content: Ability to perform day-to-day user requests support and optimal customer service and ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organization; ability to analyze and troubleshoot issues by collaborating with team members, including external resources; strong problem solving, analysis and communication skills; demonstrated technical aptitude and troubleshooting techniques; detailed knowledge of network infrastructure and securities; utilizes excellent customer service skills and exceed customers' expectations; ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple issues concurrently; ability to work independently without direct guidelines; ability to maintain the confidential nature of all employees and company proprietary and privileged information used or observed in the course of performing job duties
- Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
- Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects
- Organization-wide Competencies
- Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
- Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Ability to identify appropriate and relevant stakeholders; identifies internal and external stakeholders needs (customers); is responsive to stakeholder needs, considers impact when making recommendations
- Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; strong presentation skills; demonstrates ability to develop and deliver relevant and appropriate communications; delivers messages in a direct manner; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
- Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of their true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based, and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to analyze complex problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
- Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Identifies key issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; develops alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to develop a point of view on a course of action to accomplish goals; develops priorities with the right balance of short and long-term wins
- Demonstrates Contribution to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Supports equal and active participation and mutual respect; supports participation of people and groups with diverse identities, races, ethnicities, abilities, characteristics, cultures, socio-economic statuses, opinions, and beliefs; continuously challenges assumptions, and is mindful of unconscious bias, and leverages differences; understands historical and current context and root causes of inequities within society, systems and institutions; actively involves and reflects with the community First 5 LA serves.
- Minimum of four years of experience in IT Help Desk Support preferred
- Previous work in the government, public entity, advocacy, non-profit or philanthropic organizations preferred
- Experience working in a structured, process-driven environment
- A Bachelor’s/Associate’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited college in a related field preferred
- Experience with setup, configurations, troubleshooting of desktop, laptops, hardware, software, and IOS devices in a networked environment (Windows & some Mac OS)
- Windows OS (Windows 10)
- Network Infrastructure, Active Directory, IP addressing and subnet schemes
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Advanced ability to use virtual engagement formats (e.g., Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Sli-do, etc.)
- Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 and Office 365, including inTunes, Azure and other cloud-based applications.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft SharePoint
- Internet Explorer and other widely used and supported browsers
- Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- A+ Certification™ or equivalent
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or equivalent
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or equivalent
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or MCSA preferred
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
- Vaccination Requirements:
- First 5 LA requires that all covered employees provide proof that they have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please visit our website to apply.