LACAC Volunteer Support Intern
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Young Storytellers sparks creative self-discovery through storytelling. Our programs highlight young people as the center of their own narratives, emphasize that their stories matter, and celebrate their unique voices as the ones telling them. Young Storytellers works towards a future where young people experience the impact that their thoughts, feelings, and words can have on the world in which they live.
Young Storytellers works with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In elementary school, students write scripts that are completely their own; in middle school, students write stories about challenges that they face; and in high school, students explore how various communities are portrayed in the media and craft stories that they feel represent their self-identified communities. Students in each program work with volunteer mentors, and every student gets to see their work performed by professional actors. Young Storytellers programs are designed around Common Core standards, integrate Social and Emotional Learning activities, and include components of Learning for Justice’s Social Justice Standards.
About this job
The Volunteer Support Intern works closely with the YS Volunteer Team to support the recruitment, training, and placement of volunteers in our elementary, middle, and high school programs. The Volunteer Support intern helps with tracking volunteer requirements, including background checks, vaccination records, and other required paperwork, ensuring that the volunteer experience is as smooth and efficient as possible. The Volunteer Support Intern also helps to prepare and lead volunteer trainings, including orientations, program trainings, and volunteer skill-building workshops. The Volunteer Support Intern ultimately helps Young Storytellers volunteers feel prepared and ready to engage with their young writers in each of our programs, allowing them to have an impact in the communities we serve. All YS Interns are encouraged to explore and integrate the YS values of belonging, connection, exploration, play, antiracism, and equity into their projects and daily tasks.
Roles & responsibilities
- Tracks and inputs volunteer requirements, including volunteer applications, vaccination records, Live Scan background checks, and more;
- Works with YS staff to track volunteer training status and maintain that information in the YS database;
- Assists with creating training and volunteer workshop materials, including researching topics as necessary, and creating slideshows and handouts for participants;
- Supports YS staff in developing and delivering trainings and workshops based on YS curriculum for our volunteer community based on current program needs;
- Helps organize and execute YS volunteer appreciation events;
Supports the implementation of YS’s DEIB and antiracism practices in all parts of volunteer management and training.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience working with volunteers and/or volunteer-based programs preferred;
- Facilitation skills preferred;
- Good time management skills;
- Experience with Google Suite, and specifically Google Sheets, preferred;
- The ability to handle sensitive personal information with integrity;
- Knowledge of or interest in the nonprofit and/or education sector is preferred;
- A willingness to learn and grow.
Please note that only currently-enrolled college students (2 or 4-year undergraduate and community college students) who reside or attend college in Los Angeles County are eligible for LACAC positions.
Anticipated start date is August 2022 and applications will be accepted until the position is full. To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/3Q1bZuo to fill out an application and upload the following in PDF form:
Resume / CV;
A brief statement or cover letter that includes why you are interested in working with Young Storytellers and this position in particular.