Content Design Manager
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA) is home to change-makers and justice seekers. We're individuals from various walks of life making collective steps towards a better future for our community. Our focus is on bringing about real and sustainable change by unleashing the collective power of people to open minds, unite diverse communities, and convert compassion into action for a more just, inclusive, and thriving L.A. County. Together, we make a tangible impact on some of our toughest community issues, including poverty, homelessness, education equity, and economic mobility. For us, being 'united' isn't just in reference to our organization but to our hope for the future of Los Angeles. Regardless of race, gender, orientation, or self-identification - we do our part as one by making room for all.
WHAT WE DO
The Engagement & Activation department uses storytelling, events, community conversations, and direct advocacy to help realize our organization’s vision for a very different L.A. County through three distinct, but related brands: United Way of Greater L.A.Everyone In, and Home For Good. We're a team that is rooted in facts, fresh in design, and strategic in our approach to end generations of disinvestment and injustice. We drive impact and fundraising forward by defining the problems we are trying to solve—and the solutions we believe in—in ways that grab the attention of our key audiences, including donors, supporters, partners and neighbors.
The Communications & Content team sits within Engagement & Activation and brings the organization’s vision for community change to life by creating engaging content that grabs the attention of our partners, donors, neighbors, and challengers alike. We mobilize coalitions into unified campaigns and make use of all platforms to engage in real-time policy and civic conversations across L.A. County.
About this job
We invite creative and technically savvy communicators with a passion for replacing a thousand words with one well-designed image, graphic, or video that tells a rich, impactful story to apply for our Content Design Manager role.
You will contribute to bringing our organizational voice and vision to life by successfully translating complex concepts into print and digital visual representations in ways that highlight the lived experiences of our neighbors and the broken, inequitable systems we are working to fix.
You will have the unique opportunity to change the future of LA County by amplifying the voice of our most vulnerable neighbors through visual storytelling. You will make an impact by getting essential resources and information out to the public and into the hands of people that need it the most.
Roles & responsibilities
Visual Content Design & Creation
- Design and produce visual elements of communications including social media graphics, emails and digital newsletters, impact reports, pitch decks, event materials, direct mail marketing, and print and out-of-home advertisements
- Translate complex concepts and initiatives into visual representations including presentations, infographics, images, video, and other media developing content that is accurate, visually compelling, and engaging
- Create short-form videos for distribution on social media (e.g. Facebook/Instagram stories, TikTok) and other digital channels that include behind-the-scenes, b-roll, user-generated clips/compilations, organization announcements, and promotional spots.
Visual Content Strategy
- Plan and execute multi-faceted communications campaigns utilizing a broad mix of content tactics to engage with both existing supporters and new target audiences while ensuring consistency and thoughtfulness across all initiatives and projects
- Propose innovative solutions based on sound design principles and branding guidelines ensuring quality and consistency
- Partner with the Digital Marketing Manager on social media listening and measurement of content performance and message traction, and develop optimization strategies to meet campaign goals and maximize brand visibility
Brand Architecture & Strategy
- Ensure the look and feel of content is on-brand, consistent with style, tone, and quality, and cohesive across all communications channels, initiatives, and campaigns
- Develop centralized asset library and identify opportunities to leverage visual assets more effectively to reach more audiences
- Identify best practices and tools for quality assurance to streamline operations and best support creative services needs for the organization
- Identify available resources organization-wide (e.g. impact data, event photos, community testimonials) as potential sources for impactful narratives
- Stay abreast of Community Impact, Strategic Partnerships, and other organizational programs and initiatives to proactively manage creative design/collateral requests and deliverable timelines
- Partner with the Written Communications & Content Manager to ensure that visual content is cohesive with written messaging, narratives, and talking points
- Attend UWGLA and partner events, to capture highlights that can be shared out to diverse stakeholders and networks
WHAT 1 YEAR OF SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- Contribute to overall communications and content strategy, calendar, planning, and execution breaking through silos to create cohesive stories and compelling content
- Spearheading creative design and content strategy for the organization’s Centennial Year campaign that will visually communicate milestones and impact stories
- Manage online and social media campaigns, incorporating interactive visuals and live streaming, launching the organization's social media listening plan in an effort to expand capabilities
- Organization of internal creative asset library, cataloging process, and asset request systems to streamline processes across the organization
- Development and packaging of graphic design elements for events, initiatives, campaigns, and donor collateral
- Ongoing maintenance brand architecture and strategies to provide consistency across all initiatives and programs
Education & Experience
- High School diploma is required; Bachelor’s degree in visual communications, marketing, public relations, graphic design, media arts, or a related field is strongly preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in graphic design, strategic communications, content marketing, or another related field is required; Experience or familiarity with housing and homelessness, education, and economic justice issues a plus
- Strong creative graphic design and data visualization experience is required
- Understands the value of racial equity as an organizational operating principle and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU’RE A FIT (Nice-to-Haves)
- You are a creative graphic designer that is ready to hop right in creating insightful content that resonates with diverse communities and enhances our brand's voice
- You have a passion for all things related to content, shaping narratives through design and visuals, communicating critical information effectively to the public.
- You have a deep connection to our mission and have a passion for engaging our most vulnerable communities in L.A. County.
- Your innovative communication skills can flex to fit any platform, media, character count, or audience, using GIFs, images, emojis, stickers, video, and anything trending to inspire conversation.
- You have a preferred platform for building design assets – maybe it’s Figma or Photoshop or InDesign, and you’re eager to expand your video skills for short-form content.
- Your design style is concise and clear when ensuring visuals are compelling, accurate, and tailored to the audience.
- Storytelling is your superpower, as you always consider sentiment, the impact of deliverables, while maximum engagement.
- You enjoy well-designed content that makes an excellent first impression and can lead a process that translates complex information into an engaging and aesthetically appealing masterpiece.
- From Twitter to Tiktok, you are #confident in your knowledge of all the social media trends and microblogging forums that best drive forward a message that resonates with the right audiences
- Keeping a pulse on the industry by using emerging communication methods is your hobby.
- You can adapt and pivot quickly without so much as feeling dizzy.
- You keep your priorities straight and know when to re-prioritize your work assignments based on business needs.
- You are proactive, self-motivated, and action-oriented when it comes to managing your workload.
- Your strong work ethic gets going when the going gets tough during late nights, early mornings or weekend assignments.
- You work well with others - stakeholders and colleagues alike would agree that you are the quintessential “Team Player”.
- ¡Aun, es hasta mejor si puede crear contenido cautivador en español!
- You know your way around Google Drive and the Microsoft operating systems and all its essential programs including, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Teams
Apply for this position here: https://jobs.lever.co/unitedwayla/9aa50579-d287-411e-a9c1-0c910d6dba88