Health Educator or Paid Internship – Pompea Smith Good Cooking/Buena Cocina Nutrition Education Program
- 12 days ago
- Employment type
- Part Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Founded in 1996, Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a leading Southern California nonprofit organization, connecting people to healthy food, promoting economic development, and building sustainable food systems. We operate the largest network of mission-driven farmers’ markets in Los Angeles as well as programs that provide nutrition education, food access, and opportunities for small regional farms and local food businesses to thrive.
Our programs include:
• Operating a network of seven community-based certified farmers’ markets in Los Angeles.
• Piloting and championing programs that stretch public nutrition benefits for the purchase of fresh, nutrient-rich food.
• Providing extensive nutrition education programs to low-income families and to children in underserved schools.
About this job
SEE-LA is currently seeking a dynamic individual to support in the teaching of food and nutrition education classes for its highly acclaimed Pompea Smith Good Cooking/Buena Cocina Nutrition Education Programs. SEE-LA has received grant funding to launch bilingual English/Spanish STEAM Kids’ Culinary and STEAM Kids’ + Caregiver series within the South LA community. Each four-part series builds on key math and science STEAM objectives through hands-on culinary skill development empowering youth (6-17yoa) and caregivers to confidently prepare meals on their own and with members of their households. Classes uniquely focus on California-grown produce and are hosted at two farmers’ markets as well as community sites, including foster care centers and group homes.
The STEAM program is a grant funded position and as such is time limited and funded through the end of September 2023. However, SEE-LA continues to seek and identify ongoing funding sources to support programing within the Nutrition Department. Continuation of the position is contingent upon securing additional funding. The position is hybrid telecommuting, some time required at SEE-LA’s main office and classes are based at SEE-LA’s farmers market and community partner sites.
The ideal candidate is flexible, a fast learner, thrives in a fast-paced and structured environment, enjoys teaching varied audiences, and is passionate about nutrition education and the promotion of local California farmers.
Roles & responsibilities
• Become fully versed in project goals, objectives, activities, and expected outcomes;
• Become fully versed and lead classes using assigned curriculum;
• Perform independently and as a team for class set-up, instruction, break-down and outreach activities;
• During the project period, as part of a team, achieve the grant objectives of conducting the specified amount of classes to reach a specified number of class participants;
• Participate in outreach and promotional activities which may include but are not limited to
health/community fairs and events;
• Responsible for maintenance of files, records, intake information, pre & post tests and surveys for each site;
• Ensure a safe, professional, and interactive environment for the hands-on cooking classes;
• Bilingual English/ Spanish, written and verbal required;
• Reliable,self-driven, and ability to follow clear directives with minimal supervision;
• A minimum of 2 years of professional teaching, nutrition education and food preparation experience;
• Experience teaching virtual classes via zoom or other virtual platform a plus;
• Familiarity with MyPlate and the most recent USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans;
• Excels at public speaking & providing presentations to a group of up to 40 people;
• Excellent interpersonal skills - comfortable working with diverse groups of people and engaging families in an interactive class setting;
• Ability to reliably communicate via E-mail and phone;
• Demonstrated instances of leadership within his/her career &/or within the community;
• Working knowledge of Food Safety regulations, ServSafe Certification Required (can be attained upon hiring);
• Ability to operate within tight deadlines and produce exemplary work with high level of attention to detail;
• Works cooperatively and supportively with staff, volunteers, participants, etc.;
• Mastery in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel & Word, and Internet Applications;
• Ability to learn new digital platforms quickly as program frequently requires use of Monday.com and Canva
• Must have reliable transportation with valid California Driver’s License and self-insured vehicle.
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to:
Address to: Consuelo Cid, Senior Manager, Nutrition Programs
E-mail: email@example.com (Subject Line: SEE-LA Health Educator or Paid Internship)
If interested in a full-time position, please note interest in your cover letter.
SEE-LA makes hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, identity, or expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class and is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from groups that have been historically underrepresented.