After School Action Sports Coach
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Part Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Our mission at STOKED is to create a diverse community of fearless young leaders who develop a love for action sports; develop their personal sense of creativity, confidence and self, and build lifelong relationships with mentors who encourage them to explore various opportunities through the industry. Specifically targeting underrepresented communities in action sports, we inspire BIPOC youth from underserved and underrepresented communities to get stoked about themselves, realize their full potential, and help others do the same through action sports. Additionally, we partner with humble for profit and non-profit leaders committed to social justice who want to learn from our fearless youth and STOKED's 17 years of experience, uplifting them, to activate measurable change on a national level.
About this job
The role of a STOKED Coach is to help build this community of dynamic, resilient, fearless leaders. Coaches lead year-long after school programs 2 days per week during which they work with a cohort of 15-20 high school students to build a skateboard deck by hand, or create an action-sports-related social impact brand, as well as introduce students to STOKED and action sports culture. In addition, Coaches guide students through community development activities, college and career exploration days, skateboard with students after school, and support them academically.
The Coach is the face of STOKED at their school or site, and therefore must uphold and represent STOKED Core Values, as well as be the liaison with school staff and administration, contacting parents when necessary and ensuring the personal and academic success of each youth participant. Coaches report to the regional Program Manager and will be responsible for reporting both quantitatively and qualitatively as directed. Coaches have the opportunity to work additional hours on weekends supervising skateboarding, snowboarding, and surfing events. All training is provided in the skateboard building and art design process.
Roles & responsibilities
- Ensure that STOKED Core Values are evident throughout every aspect of programming, events, and activities
- Lead a cohort of 15-20 middle or high school youth through a year-long afterschool STOKED Action sports program, meeting once or twice a week for two hours
- Develop and maintain relationships with students and youth participants to energetically support recruitment, enrollment, retention, and attendance goals
- Support weekend surf, skate or snowboard programming as needed, but at least twice during each season
- Encourage enrollment, youth attendance, and retention in all programs
- Develop thoughtful weekly lesson plans on skateboarding, board build/design or brand design based on the STOKED Framework for Success, rooted in STOKED Core Values, data, and evidence-based best practices
- Support Program Managers in collecting program data (quantitative and qualitative), artifacts, and media content
- Meet regularly with Program Managers and attend regular meetings with other Coaches, staff members, and consultants for training and professional development
- Commit to using restorative practices to promote a unified community of learners steeped in social emotional learning and the assumption of positive intent
- Possess and continuously demonstrate a growth mindset, a bias towards action, and receptive to feedback and growth opportunities
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned
- STOKED alumni and volunteers with experience working with, supporting, and celebrating STOKED youth are especially encouraged to apply
- Must be reliable, punctual, and kind
- An action sports enthusiast with knowledge of the action sports culture and lifestyle is highly desirable
- Applicants who overcame obstacles, developing resilience and optimism through action sports are strongly encouraged to apply
- Must be outraged by all forms of discrimination, committed to challenging internal and external bias to create, and maintain a safe environment for all program participants, staff, and volunteers
- Must successfully complete the background clearance process, providing an explanation for any employment gaps or judicial records retrieved
Interested applicants should submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume or a video introducing yourself and your qualifications to email@example.com.