Hollywood Farmers’ Market Coordinator I
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Founded in 1996, Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a leading Southern California nonprofit organization, connecting people to healthy food, promoting economic development, and building sustainable food systems. We operate the largest network of mission-driven farmers’ markets in Los Angeles as well as programs that provide nutrition education, food access, and opportunities for small regional farms and local food businesses to thrive.
Our programs include:
• Operating a network of community-based certified farmers’ markets in Los Angeles.
• Piloting and championing programs that stretch public nutrition benefits for the purchase of fresh, nutrient-rich food.
• Providing extensive nutrition education programs to low-income families and to children in
• Coordinating food relief for local families struggling with food insecurity.
About this job
The Hollywood Farmers’ Market Coordinator I serves as the primary support to the Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market in planning and operating all aspects of the Hollywood Farmers’ Market. This position requires working Sundays at the market (6 AM – 2:30 PM) and four eight hour office days.
Roles & responsibilities
Hollywood Farmers’ Market, Sundays 6 AM – 2:30 PM
● Support Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market with the tasks related to the on-site operation of the Hollywood Farmers’ Market which include, but are not limited to:
o Ensure accurate and safe set-up and breakdown of the market
o Assist vendors with stall placement
o Enforce SEE-LA rules and other pertinent Regional, State, and Federal laws and regulations
(Direct Marketing, California Retail Food Code, etc.)
o Communicate market policies, activities, and rules to all vendors
o Respond to emergencies, complaints, and requests from vendors, customers, and
o Maintain market site in a safe manner
o Operate information / retail booth as needed
o Distribute Load Lists, market memos, and other market correspondence to market vendors
o Maintain market supply inventory, gather and organize supplies
o Set up market retail display and sell retail items
o Update social media (Instagram feed and stories, Facebook, Twitter) with relevant market
news, vendor updates, seasonal finds, etc.
o Assure the market site is clean once the market is closed and vendors have left
o Function as Market Manager during the Manager’s break or days off
● Lead set up and function as primary point of contact for market special events such as food
demonstrations, activations, Community on Cosmo, cultural celebrations, book signings, etc.
Office (Monday – Thursday)
● Lead administrative tasks including but not limited to:
o Work with Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market to secure necessary permits for the
operation of a Certified Farmers’ Market and Community Event
o Coordinate market supply purchasing with Manager, Hollywood Farmers’ Market
o Maintain Hollywood Farmers’ Market vendor files and vendor management database
ManageMyMarket, secure vendor paperwork, and update standards + compliance tracker.
o Coordinate market reconciliation from start to finish with the Reconciliation Assistant,
including reviewing load lists and market reports
o Support with the supervision of the Reconciliation Assistant, including coordinating schedule and communicating reconciliation needs
o Support reconciliation as needed including processing vendor load lists, preparing market
deposit, entering load lists into ManageMyMarket
o Work with Bookkeeper to track vendor credits and balances, prepare and distribute vendor
invoices and credit memos
o Draft and send vendor memos and other correspondence including market policies,
activities, and rules
o Coordinate monthly artisan schedule & placement on Cosmo.
o Finalize market maps, update day file, pack for market
o Organize and attend farm, kitchen and studio visits as needed
o Lead other communications and administrative projects as assigned.
● Work with Hollywood Market Manager to promote the health and growth of the market:
o Coordinate market programming such as food demonstrations, cultural celebrations, book
signings, market activations, etc.
o Schedule and be the point of contact for Community on Cosmo and Center Spotlight
activities, including managing permits and invoicing.
o Create invites for special market events (i.e. chef demos, book signings, activations, etc.)
o Informed by SEE-LA’s brand guide, draft, design, and distribute print and digital marketing
and informational materials, including developing original content for social media,
including but not limited to: Instagram feed and stories, Facebook posts and events, Twitter,
o Support with community engagement on social media including, reviewing and responding
to direct messages and comments.
o Arrange and attend community meetings with local leaders, elected officials, community
members, and other stakeholders
o Support the development and implementation of programs per the Manager, Hollywood
o Attend regular meetings including, but not limited to:
▪ Weekly supervision meetings with Hollywood Farmers’ Market Manager
▪ Farmers’ Market Program Team Meetings + Trainings twice / month
▪ Monthly SEE-LA staff meetings
▪ Other meetings and trainings as required
o Participate in internal working groups and other collaborative activities as time permits
o Fundraise on behalf of SEE-LA
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard, reach, stoop, and kneel to install computer equipment. Most work will take place indoors, but some work will take place outside in rainy, hot, or cold weather conditions.
May perform related duties as assigned by management.
DISCLAIMER: The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements for the
performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• A minimum of one (1) years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience managing multiple tasks and working with competing deadlines.
• Can work independently, organized and detail-oriented.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Zoom, Social Media apps and other technology
• Effective problem-solving skills, ability to remain calm + think critically in high pressure
• Comfortable handling cash.
• Must be able to work Sundays.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Multilingual; particularly Spanish proficiency.
• Experience working with small-business owners or at farmers’ markets / community events.
• Experience supporting communications and community outreach strategies.
• Experience working in community food systems especially those within the Hollywood / LA
• Experience working at a Certified Farmers’ Market (vendor, management, staff, etc)
• Experience working with underserved, low-income communities with awareness and integrity.
• Knowledge of standards and compliance and other protocol related to the Department of
Agriculture, Department of Public Health and other local, state and federal agencies.
Compensation & Benefits
• Employer covered Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance Coverage upon completion of 90-day
• 160 hrs Paid Time Off / year for first two years (increases year 3) plus 14.5 Holidays
• Employee Assistance Program
• Option for 403b Retirement Plan
Please submit cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Hollywood FM Coordinator Application [Your Name].
Email submissions only. No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.
SEE-LA is an equal opportunity employer. SEE-LA makes hiring decisions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from all qualified applicants, including those who belong to groups that have been historically underrepresented.
Opportunity is open until filled.