Manager, Finance & Business Affairs
- 21 days ago
- Employment type
- Full time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Launched in 2007, the Partnership is a nonprofit organization that serves 13,500 students across 18 campuses in Watts, Boyle Heights and South Los Angeles, California. The Partnership is one of the largest, in-district public school transformation organizations in the U.S., and is not a charter organization. Our priorities are supporting great school leadership, developing highly effective teaching, and engaging families and community partners. Over the past decade, our high schools have seen their graduation rate more than double from 36% to 80% and college acceptances have risen by 17 percentage points in the last four years from 32% in 2015 to 49% in 2019. Suspension rates across the network are at less than 1%, compared with 21% when we started our work.
About this job
The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools’ Manager of Finance & Business Affairs (Manager of F&BA) is primarily responsible for building the relationships and culture necessary to scale the internal financial operations of the Partnership, with many cross-functional and stakeholder-facing touchpoints. In the most recently audited fiscal year, the Partnership earned $14.5M in revenue, booked $12.3M in expenses, issued 127 W-2s and 360 1099s, and held net assets of $38.8M. The Manager of F&BA manages and/or executes all processes related to finance, payroll, business affairs, and human resources, interfaces with both internal and external parties, and provides guidance to other staff for contracts, legal concerns, human resources, administrative procedures, and other functions related to the Partnership’s operations and the needs of stakeholders. Guided by the Partnership’s mission, the Manager of F&BA continuously improves existing policies and procedures; serves as a hub of information, counsel, and direction; and executes a myriad of transactions with the highest integrity (i.e. OMB Circulars, GAAP, FASB, HIPAA, ACA, 501(c)(3), etc. compliance). This person will report to the Senior Director of Finance and Business Affairs (Sr. Director of F&BA).
Roles & responsibilities
Finance & Accounting (60%):
- Support the organization to maximize efficiency of financing the organization’s activities, escalating issues to Sr. Director of F&BA as needed
- Support the Sr. Director of F&BA in management of the Partnership’s finances, including budget development, research and data analysis necessary for grant and compliance reporting, monthly and annual financial statements and reports, providing support for the annual audit and tax return, and ensuring continued financial health of the organization
- Manage day to day operations such as accounts receivable, payroll time reporting, etc.
- Manage several balance sheet items such as the fixed asset ledger and inventory
- In coordination with stakeholders, build processes and procedures to accommodate shifts in finance, budgeting, and payroll, and roll out to home office and school site staff with continual training and support
- Provide internal monitoring of organizations that receive funding as pass through dollars from the partnership
- Manage and/or execute all processes involving confidential information including payroll, retirement account testing, fielding compliance requests (e.g. EDD, Franchise Tax Board), etc.
- Oversee and manage external relationships with brokers and vendors, including insurance brokers
- Ensure the Finance & Business Affairs perspective is presented in various meetings, identifying opportunities to streamline, pointing out inefficiencies, etc.
- Support multi-party financial transactions across the network through their respective discretionary accounts
- Submit Tax forms as needed
- Review and maintain the inventory/ fixed asset ledger
- Create and deliver training annually and as needed
- Provide support for grant and funder reporting submissions
Human Resources (20%)
- On/offboarding, maintaining compensation and time reporting records, and compliance
- (e.g. 403(b) testing)
- Ensure compliance with confidentiality and document retention policies
- Serve as in-house expert for compliance issues (e.g. 1099 v. W-2)
Business Affairs (15%)
- Ensure the organizations remains in legal, compliant good standing with all pertinent agencies (e.g. IRS, EDD, Department of Labor, CA Education Code, MOU with LAUSD, etc.)
- Manage all vendor relationships and performance for home office services from request for proposals to closeout
- Provide historical input and recommendations to guide MOU and contract creation, development, and execution, with continuing work streams pursuant to reporting, billing, etc. of the same
- Create cross-functional systems when appropriate
Administrative Procedures (5%)
- Ensure regulatory filings are completed and submitted
- Compliance with appropriate federal and state law (e.g. FLSA, minimum wage increases, etc.)
- Create and monitor the Admin policy & procedures document
Minimally qualified applicants:
- have a Bachelor’s degree (required, MBA/MA preferred);
- can demonstrate 5+ years of professional experience with:
- finance and fund accounting (CA 501(c)(3) preferred) for an organization with a $10M+/year budget;
federal and/or public agency grant reporting;
- HR processes and procedures, including implementing recent ACA requirements;
- operations and contracts
- MS Office Suite required, and Paycom, Bill.com, and Xero (preferred).
- are passionate about the Partnership’s mission;
- are intellectually curious and open to cage-busting, with good judgment;
- have a strong sense of integrity and discretion;
- have strong interpersonal and collaboration skills with a wide variety of people;
- communicate effectively;
- enjoy the challenge of working through the constantly morphing puzzle of balancing a large scope of work, competing priorities, and timelines;
- approach work with a growth mindset, seeking opportunities to thrive and grow in a results-oriented environment; and
- can quickly analyze the relationship between the big ideas and the minute details
- Proficient in Spanish preferred
- Deep belief in the power of our communities, and respect and love for our families in Boyle Heights, South LA and Watts.
- Belief in the Partnership’s mission, approach, and core values and a commitment to improving academic achievement for Partnership students
- A commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment for all team members
- Humility and respect for the hard work of school leaders, teachers, parents, and students
- Reflective and a life-long learner
- Unmatched work ethic
- Highest level of integrity
Please prepare your resume and a cover letter tailored to this position. You will submit your documents using our online application system linked here (https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=p6369&fs=1.0em).
For technical assistance or questions, please email Melanie.Liu@PartnershipLA.org.