Chief of Staff
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
With the vision to inspire wonder, discovery, and responsibility for our natural and cultural worlds, the NHMLAC are a public-private partnership between the nonprofit Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History Foundation and the County of Los Angeles.
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County was the first museum in L.A. to open its doors 108 years ago and is poised for an exciting new era as it plans for the future. Having recently completed a new strategic framework, the Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County are looking forward to new building projects and campaigns, exhibitions, community outreach, and innovative audience engagement. The strategic priorities re-imagine how the museums, through their research and unparalleled collections, interact with their communities—onsite and beyond their walls. By committing to principles of accessibility and engagement, the NHMLAC will truly be a hub for discoveries and dialogue around critical issues of global significance and local impact.
For more information, please visit www.nhmlac.org.
About this job
The Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County (NHMLAC)—the Natural History Museum in Exposition Park, La Brea Tar Pits in the mid-Wilshire/Miracle Mile, and the William S. Hart Museum in Newhall—occupy an unrivaled position in the exploration of L.A., and the world.
As home to over 35 million specimens and artifacts, they have the largest natural and cultural history collection in the western United States, a range of indoor and outdoor experiences across three sites that serve 1.3 million visitors a year, and the only active urban paleontological excavation site in the world at the Tar Pits.
NHMLAC are seeking an entrepreneurial and strategic professional with exceptional communication skills for the newly created role of Chief of Staff. The Chief of Staff will support the President & Director, enabling her to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and to fulfill her commitments to the NHMLAC Board of Trustees, staff, funders, and constituents. This is a highly strategic and facilitative role with privileged access to the inner workings of the NHMLAC and to highly sensitive information, requiring emotional intelligence, self-motivation, flexibility, strong analytical skills, and exemplary written and verbal communication.
The annual salary range for this position is $190,000 to $210,000.
Roles & responsibilities
• The successful candidate will be an experienced professional with a track record of success working within a complex, dynamic environment.
• Competitive candidates will bring a minimum of ten years of relevant work experience, ideally within a museum, nonprofit organization or public-serving institution.
• An understanding of Los Angeles County and its overall cultural, political and philanthropic landscape would be highly desirable.
• A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree or comparable experience is preferred.
The following key attributes and competencies will also be valued:
• Impeccable organizational and project management skills, with a keen attention to detail and follow-through.
• Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities, with the capacity to think strategically and make data-informed decisions.
• Excellent relationship-building skills and the ability to both cultivate and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Capacity for intuitive, idea-based planning as well as data-driven implementation and analysis.
• Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and trustworthiness.
• A good sense of humor and a calm demeanor under pressure.
NHMLAC have retained Morris & Berger to conduct the Chief of Staff search. To view the full position description, please visit https://pub.lucidpress.com/morrisberger_2229/. To apply, please submit an application, including a resume and a letter of interest, in confidence to Morris & Berger through their website: https://www.morrisberger.com/position.php?id=2229.