Executive Assistant and Board Liaison
- 28 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
The Library Foundation of Los Angeles (LFLA) provides critical support to the Los Angeles Public Library resulting in free programs, resources, and services available to the hundreds of thousands of adults, children, and youth in Los Angeles. We accomplish this mission through fundraising, advocacy, and producing innovative programs that strengthen the Library and promote greater awareness of its valuable resources.
We recognize that libraries are bigger than buildings and more than books, and we are eager to build on our past success by continuing to identify opportunities to help the LAPL thrive as a responsive, resilient, and dynamic institution that meets the evolving needs and improves the lives of Angelenos all across the city. In our work we reinforce our core values, including empathy, curiosity, accountability, adaptability, high achievement, learning, and collaboration, and we prioritize upholding justice and equity in the workplace. In addition to fostering an active DEIJA (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice, and Accessibility) committee, we are dedicated to providing professional development, centering team building, and mirroring the welcoming and inclusive environment of public libraries. We love ideas, learning, and making an impact–and are looking to recruit colleagues who share these passions.
About this job
Position: Executive Assistant and Board Liaison
FSLA Status: Exempt
Hours: Full-time, hybrid (at least 3 days/week onsite in DTLA)
Salary: $79k to $99k
Reports to: President and CEO
Benefits: Excellent benefits including paid medical, dental, vision, 401(k) match, 13 paid holidays, generous vacation, and sick leave policies
The Executive Assistant and Board Liaison provides administrative support to the President and CEO of the Library Foundation of Los Angeles and serves as the primary point of contact to the LFLA Board of Directors. This role drives efficiency and organization for the President and CEO’s office. As a liaison to our 40+ high-profile member Board of Directors, this individual will plan and execute multiple hybrid and in-person meetings on a quarterly basis. You will work in a hybrid capacity, mirroring the President’s schedule that is typically at least 3 days/week onsite at the downtown LA office and 2 days or fewer remotely.
A successful candidate will be able to identify and solve problems independently, displaying a high degree of initiative. This is an ideal role for an energetic, mid-career professional passionate about non-profit management and serving the Los Angeles community. You will have the chance to work at the highest level of the organization, contributing your administrative efficiency and board liaison skills, while gaining insight into all departments and functions overseen by the President and CEO.
Roles & responsibilities
· Administrative Tasks: manage an extremely active calendar, create agendas, complete expense reports and check requests, organize President’s files, etc.
· Meeting Preparation: research and prepare briefing notes for President in advance of meetings with staff, board members, and donors, maintain detailed minutes on meetings and activities, create and circulate reports as requested
· Correspondence: draft correspondence on behalf of the President for review and distribution, serve as Executive Office liaison to various LFLA and LAPL departments as well as external vendors, prioritize and proactively respond to matters on behalf of the President, handle tasks with immediacy and (at times) confidentiality
· Event Assistance: assist with planning virtual and in-person gatherings, secure and prepare meeting spaces, create agendas, assist with major event/special occasions as necessary (e.g. Annual Awards Dinner, Literary Feasts)
· Communication: prepare all official Board correspondence, serve as primary contact for Board-related matters, brief Board and Committee chairs prior to meetings, liaise between development department and Board regarding fundraising needs, Library programming updates, and other engagement opportunities
· Meeting Management: prepare annual meeting calendar, identify annual Board activities and priorities, consolidate input from various departments in order to prepare all quarterly meeting materials, prepare meeting spaces and coordinate technology needs, maintain accurate minutes for all Board and Board Committee meetings
· Member Management: assist President in Board recruitment and nomination process, oversee new member orientation and Board Mentor system, develop and maintain the Board Manual, reference books, job descriptions, and other materials
· Minimum 6 years of experience in nonprofit administration or government agency
· Well organized with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
· Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners, and donors
· Solutions-oriented individual able to proactively solve problems
· Ability to multitask with ease
· Strong knowledge of non-profit governance and board best practices; experience as board liaison preferred
· Impeccable integrity,ability to maintain confidentiality, and high degree of professionalism
· Ability to work some nights and weekends for events when needed (with advance notice)
· Experience using MS Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams
· Familiarity with Adobe products, Raiser’s Edge, OnBoard, or similar softwares, preferred
COVID-19 Workplace Safety Requirements:
· LFLA requires all employees to receive COVID-19 vaccinations as determined unless a reasonable accommodation is approved
· This position is currently hybrid with remote and in-office activities. Occasional requirements include interacting with employees, donors, vendors, and others who may or may not be vaccinated or recently tested. You may be required to wear personal protection equipment (PPE) required by the LA County Department of Public Health protocols and the LFLA
Apply though the link with a resume and cover letter.