Director of Major and Planned Gifts
- 20 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
The Library Foundation of Los Angeles (LFLA) provides critical support to the Los Angeles Public Library resulting in free programs, resources, and services available to the thousands of adults, children, and youth in Los Angeles. We accomplish this mission through fundraising, advocacy, and producing innovative programs that strengthen the Library and promote greater awareness of its valuable resources.
Our Core Values include:
Collaboration – Respect and communication build successful teams.
Adaptability – We welcome change.
Empathy – Our work is defined by caring for others.
Partnerships – We do our work by building bridges.
Learning – Learning builds community and enables growth.
Accountability – Each of us is responsible for our individual and team goals.
About this job
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Advancement & External Affairs, this position is responsible for implementing initiatives to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective major and planned giving donors to ensure a strong base of ongoing financial support for the Library Foundation. The Director is responsible for recognition and stewardship programming for both major and planned giving donors.
This is a hybrid role; flexible schedule with some remote work, some on-site work at various locations, including the Central Library in Downtown Los Angeles. Work must be performed in or near Los Angeles, CA.
Salary: $110,000 - $120,000 per year
Roles & responsibilities
- Develops and implement an annual plan for the LFLA planned giving program, the Bibliophiles.
- Forges relationships with donors and introduces them to planned giving options.
- In partnership with Advancement Services, mines our data to better understand our target audience for major ($10-100k) and planned gifts.
- Creates the programmatic elements and directions to increase the number of Bibliophiles and Major donors.
- Develops strategies and approaches to generate higher levels of giving to support the philanthropic needs of LAPL and LFLA.
- Ensures that all major and planned giving donors receive appropriate, consistent recognition and an accounting of the impact that their gift has on the needs of the LAPL.
- Using moves management to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major and planned giving prospects.
- Develops strong relationships with LAPL staff and creates innovative branch programming for donors.
- In partnership with Communications representatives, develops promotional materials, such as brochures and reports.
- Provides assistance with major events (e.g., Annual Awards Dinner, Literary Feasts) and special occasions central to LFLA fundraising.
- Participates in other LFLA activities to promote organization and philanthropy.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work a variety of hours, including some nights and weekends, in order to accommodate events.
- Candidate should possess a minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge related to planned giving and major gifts fund-raising.
- Able to work effectively with donors and professional advisors.
- Proven fund-raising, leadership and consensus building skills.
- Able to lead and motivate groups and individuals. Able to think creatively and strategically to successfully mediate and negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally. Able to overcome obstacles to cooperation and to foster harmonious relations.
- Able to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Ability to engage prospective donors to share information about themselves and their interests.