Planning Intern (Paid)
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) is a collective of diverse urbanists—architects, landscape architects, urban planners, community organizers, and engineers— united by our shared commitment to building equity, justice, and resilience in communities through design. A BIPOC- and woman-led firm founded in 2006, KDI comprises nearly 50 professionals working from four offices: Los Angeles, Eastern Coachella Valley, Nairobi, and Stockholm.
About this job
KDI is currently seeking a paid Planning Intern to join our growing team in Los Angeles. This is a fantastic opportunity for a creative, highly motivated student or recent graduate to work directly with people in under-resourced communities to advance equity and support community-driven development on a wide range of projects in L.A. County, the Eastern Coachella Valley, or other locations across the country.
Roles & responsibilities
The Planning Intern will work closely with the Planning, Design, and Community Departments, local residents, government officials, and other stakeholders to support a wide range of projects and topics, including:
- Participatory design and temporary activation of public spaces, from vacant lots to large parks.
- Equitable, community-based development, including projects throughout Southern California, and in Aurora, Wichita, and Hartford.
- Gender equity in planning and design, including pilot projects for more equitable transit access in LA.
- Projects to support unhoused residents in public space, including our project to design furnishings in a Venice community garden that employs formerly unhoused youth.
- Green schoolyards and climate change adaptation in low-income communities of color.
We will also work with the Planning Intern to develop a self-directed research project that aligns with projects currently in our office.
- Federal Work Study or equivalent financial aid required.
- Undergraduate or graduate-level coursework in Urban Planning or related field.
- Commitment to social justice.
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently.
- Strong analytical or research abilities.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and GIS.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (verbal and written)
- Driver’s license required
Send electronic copy of cover letter, resume, writing sample and three (3) references to: LAJobs@kounkuey.org
Subject heading: Planning Intern, Fall 2022: Your Name
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.