Directing Attorney - Benefits Advocacy
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Inner City Law Center (ICLC) is a nonprofit law firm in Skid Row in Downtown Los Angeles. We are looking for extraordinary people to help us end homelessness in Los Angeles. Founded on the fundamental principle that every person should always be treated with dignity and respect, ICLC fights for justice for low-income tenants, working-poor families, people experiencing homelessness, people living with HIV/AIDS, people with disabilities, and homeless veterans.
About this job
Position Description: ICLC seeks a dynamic manager and attorney to lead a legal services program focused on increasing disability benefits access for individuals who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness across Los Angeles County. The Director will lead a team of ICLC attorneys and paralegals who are organized into two areas: (1) a technical assistance team supporting the County’s CBEST program assisting individuals apply for disability benefits, and (2) a hearings representation team providing direct representation to clients in administrative hearings challenging denials of disability benefits. The Directing Attorney will provide substantive legal support involving Social Security law and procedure to the team, be the lead in furthering relationships with current and new funders and ensuring compliance with grants, and coordinate the various aspects of the entire team’s work. The Director will be responsible for assuring that the Team and our partners meet grant deliverables.
Roles & responsibilities
The Directing Attorney of the Benefits Advocacy Team’s primary responsibilities are to:
- Lead ICLC's Benefits Advocacy Team, comprised of supervising attorneys, staff attorneys, paralegals, and administrative support staff.
- Develop the team’s capacity to provide high-quality legal services.
- Collaborate with current funders on ensuring compliance with current grant requirements and act as the team lead for prospective grant opportunities.
- Ensure that information is shared across the team, and between staff members and the management team.
- Coordinate the overall work of the team and collaborate closely with Supervising Attorneys on the team to devise solutions to any challenges that arise.
- Serve as an integral part of ICLC’s management team and collaborate with the Directors of - - ICLC’s other projects to identify and pursue client-focused solutions to system barriers.
- Serve as an ambassador to community organizations, service providers, and government agencies.
Hiring Criteria: Demonstrated history of building and running successful legal programs. Candidate should have at least six years of experience managing attorneys and legal projects and have a thorough understanding of the provision of legal services to low-income clients, including substantive experience representing clients in the areas of Social Security law. Commitment to ICLC's mission and values. Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Innovative and solution-oriented. Demonstrated understanding of issues affecting low-income communities and communities of color. Ability to assume responsibility quickly and work independently and collaboratively. Ability to use good judgment, multitask, and meet deadlines. Ability to work productively with pro bono co-counsel. Membership in the California Bar or another State Bar required.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
ICLC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, disability, marital status, or medical condition. All qualified applicants with criminal histories shall be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
To keep our Staff and Clients safe, ICLC requires all Staff to have received the COVID-19 vaccine.
How to Apply: Cover letters and resumes are reviewed upon receipt and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter detailing interest in the position directly at www.innercitylaw.org/join-our-team.