Director of Marketing
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
L.A. has a global reputation for being at the forefront of cutting-edge industries, but until now, Los Angeles has been the only global city that has not promoted itself around the world to attract investment. Macro-economics and geopolitics have shifted dramatically in the last few years – it is time we get on the global stage to tell the story of why Los Angeles is the best destination for 21st century creators, makers, manufacturers, innovators, thought-leaders, and problem-solvers.
Global LA is a public-private partnership established by the Office of the Mayor of Los Angeles in late 2021 and supported by L.A.’s most dynamic businesses, dedicated civic leaders, and economic development organizations. The mission of Global LA is to attract international businesses, entrepreneurs, nonprofits, and students to fortify Greater L.A.’s communities, create jobs, and contribute to a resilient economy. Together with our partners and members, Global LA will enable a more equitable, vibrant, generative economy that grows and thrives as a result of an increasingly international and diverse population.
Global LA will work in partnership with LA28 and the larger community to secure a legacy for the region in the years leading up to the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
About this job
The Director of Marketing will be the first person on our team dedicated to developing the strategy for and executing our communications and marketing initiatives. This person will be responsible for creating the assets that promote LA’s thriving industries in order to attract international investment to the region, as well as help to design the strategy for engagement around attracting companies to LA in the lead up to the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games. They will need to take ownership of execution across multiple platforms from the website to social to print and live events. (Primary channels include our website, email newsletters, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram, and live event assets as needed.) The candidate should have experience working across mediums and informing their strategies with data, research, thorough planning, as well as monitoring and reporting on impact regularly.
This person must love LA and feel comfortable working in a small but growing start-up environment, be highly self-directed, super creative but also process-oriented and religious about data and tracking.
We are looking for a mid-career professional who is ready to stretch and grow with us - and for us. The job reports to the CEO.
Roles & responsibilities
- Oversee the implementation of an effective marketing strategy as well as communications, branding and advertising plans that increase brand awareness and communicate LA’s advantages for international businesses.
- Lead all owned and operated digital channels by leveraging data to drive engagement (primary channels are org website, email, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter).
- Direct successful web strategies that promote LA’s business location advantages and increases top of mind awareness that LA is a prime business location.
- Research, monitor, and track content produced by partner organizations and LA media.
- Measure and analyze overall campaign performance and provide insights and key learnings to CEO, Advisory Board, and other stakeholders.
- Track-specific milestones, including email, social and advertising conversion rates, campaign spend and ROI against project goals (ie FDI client pipeline).
- Oversee the special high value/visibility marketing projects at the direction of the CEO.
- Create email campaign strategy and execution, increase recipient list, create content, report regularly on progress and outcomes.
- (Oversee) Design of data visualization materials.
- Support writing and design of presentations for the CEO.
- Design and manage KPI dashboards, reporting to CEO regularly with insights and recommendations to improve engagement strategies.
- Manage selection of and oversee third party agency relationships.
- Understanding of economic development principles and state and local government programs
- Strong knowledge of Los Angeles ecosystem across media, local politics, key civic institutions
- Superior communication skills (verbal and written), data visualization and graphic design skills preferred
- Proven ability to successfully lead project management for complicated initiatives
- Proactive, self-starter - highly self-motivated and independent
- High level of commitment to quality work product and organizational ethics, integrity and compliance
- Experience creating KPI tracking dashboard design and management
- Project management skills, obsessive attention to tracking work and project timelines
- Ability to work well under pressure in meeting deadlines
- Ability to exhibit sound judgment in making decisions
- 8-10 years of marketing experience required
- Prior experience in digital and event marketing and project management required.
- Prior experience managing a team and outside agencies preferred.
- Prior experience with economic development is preferred but not required.
- International experience preferred
Please submit a cover letter explaining why you are interested in and a good fit for the role along with your resume. Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Marketing Application” in the subject line.