Program Accounting Manager
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Remote within California
- Closing date
About this organization
The Foundation for California Community Colleges is the statewide non-profit supporting the California Community College system, the largest system of higher education in the nation. Incorporated in 1998, the Foundation serves as the official auxiliary to the California Community Colleges’ Board of Governors and the systemwide Chancellor’s Office.
The Foundation is the trusted partner of the California Community Colleges— facilitating collaboration, accelerating innovation, and increasing systemwide resources.
About this job
The Program Accounting Manager is responsible for dedicated support of one or more Foundation programs, serving as single point of contact between the Finance department and management of large and complex operational programs. In addition, the Program Accounting Manager will manage full-cycle finance and accounting functions for assigned projects and programs and serve as accountant, financial analyst, and advisor to project and program owners. This position manages tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, contract/grant reporting, financial reporting, cash receipts and deposits, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities.
Roles & responsibilities
• Serve as senior-level advisor to program and project directors on financial matters related to assigned projects and programs. Large/Complex Programs will require a high degree of coordination, communication, and problem solving.
• Manage assigned contracts, grants and/or fiscal sponsor relationships which includes preparing monthly financial statements and/or invoices with supporting documentation, comparing expenses to contracted budgeted amounts for accuracy and variances within contract terms, and answering inquiries made by contract/grant managers and other personnel.
• Potentially supervise accounting staff providing operational level support of program activities (i.e., staff onboarding and offboarding, invoice generation).
• Oversee operational finance items such as payroll, purchasing, contracts, revenue, and operating margin for assigned programs.
• Advise program management on cost and staffing projections, grant/contract spend-down, fiscal results, contract terms, and new opportunities.
• Develop financial budgets and/or proposals that maximize cost recovery and effective program delivery.
• Assist with the annual audit process.
• Ability to coordinate all financial aspects of a large and complex program is required, including financial reporting and budgeting, contract review and management, invoicing, project management, and interfacing with program staff.
• Excellent communication, problem-solving skills, and a strong customer service focus is required.
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is required
• Knowledge of an integrated accounting system is required.
• Understanding of revenue recognition rules is preferred.
• Grant and/or fund accounting experience is preferred.
• Capacity to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Foundation employees at all levels, program and client staff, and customers, consumers, vendors encountered in the course of work.
• Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints and respond appropriately.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and to efficiently manage time.
• Passionate about providing students with stronger pathways to education and building a more just and equitable California overall.
• A self-starter and quick learner who is highly motivated and outcome-oriented, always seeking innovative approaches to project execution.
• A strategic and creative thinker who can problem-solve, working within and across teams to swiftly respond to needs identified across the California Community Colleges
• Practices ownership, takes accountability, and has the ability to project manage, prioritize tasks, and deliver quality products on time with limited supervision.
• Ability to work on a fast-paced team and build and maintain collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
To apply and to see the full Job Description please follow this link: