Contract Compliance Officer
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
First 5 LA believes the case is clear that policy makers must prioritize young children in policy and budget decisions – because our future success as a state depends upon it. Nearly half of the state’s children live in, or near, poverty. California is first in per prisoner spending, but 46th in per pupil spending in education. California continues to prioritize spending on programs for residents when problems are most acute – treatment services, child welfare, incarceration, school remediation – and lags the country and the world in spending on access to proven prevention programs like quality early learning and home visiting programs for new parents.
The impacts of ignoring our children are clear: statewide, only 45 percent of third graders read at grade level and child care can cost parents as much as in-state college tuition at the University of California. It will take grit by decision makers and elected officials to address these challenges.
First 5 LA, as part of the network of First 5s throughout the state, will help by sharing what we have learned since our inception, by bringing parents, community members, and diverse partners together to help create lasting solutions, and by advocating for investments in proven early childhood systems and supports for California’s youngest children.
First 5 LA’s structure and staffing have been designed to better enable us to advance our goals and focus on those policies and resources that will yield the greatest benefits for kids in L.A. County. Our Board of Commissioners provides guidance and direction to our leadership and staff to implement our Strategic Plan.
About this job
The Contract Compliance Officer provides guidance and support to First 5 LA teams and external stakeholders on the management and administration of contracts which includes related board approvals, risk assessments, negotiations, contract compliance and close out. The Contract Compliance Officer is also responsible for the core procurement activities and related processes for their assigned portfolio. The Contract Compliance Officer will serve as a subject matter expert in contracts and procurement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Contract Compliance Officer is expected to exemplify the organizational values of collaboration, integrity, learning, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the execution of their key areas of responsibility:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Contract Risk Management
Contract Negotiation and Execution
Contract Compliance and Amendments
Contract Renewal and Closeout
Ensures compliance with applicable laws and internal policies and procedures regarding contracting and procurement
Leads the pre-award contracting process, including participation in determining the method of procurement, establishing solicitation requirements and review process, determining type of contract and terms and conditions
Drafts, develops and posts solicitations, related solicitation documents, and online applications in partnership with the project manager
Conducts reviews for conflict of interests with proposers, reviewers and staff
Conducts reviewer training and calibration sessions
Facilitates feedback sessions and manages appeals for assigned projects
Manages complex contract issues that involve disputes, modifications, and claims
Prepares quarterly reports for the purpose of providing status of performance of contracts
Develops, amends, and executes grant agreements, contracts, and other agreement provisions
Assesses risks for each contract and maintains record of insurance documentation
Conducts noncompliance training and tracks noncompliance of contractors and grantees
Participates in delivering procurement and contract management training for staff
Maintains open and frequent communication with First 5 LA staff members and contractors to ensure awareness of procurement and contract requirements
Assists staff across the organization with the contract closeout process as needed
Prepares grant/contract documentation and files as required for county and state audits
Provides technical support with contract management applications/systems to staff
Stores and maintains team records in an electronic data management system and file folders in compliance with policies and procedures
Identifies areas of vulnerability and gaps in procurement and contracting
Provides contracts management support and guidance for contracts under assigned portfolio
Facilitates team and inter-team coordination and information sharing on relevant issues
Contributes to creating and strengthening internal processes and refining protocols, policies, and templates
Researches and recommends business solutions for relevant concerns and issues
Represents First 5 LA on relevant external committees, work groups, and at conferences/meetings
Actively seeks to build own professional skills and competencies to fulfill essential duties and responsibilities and improve performance
Adheres to all First 5 LA policies and procedures, ensures behaviors align accordingly, and contributes to learning that supports improvements
Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules, and policies affecting First 5 LA and ensures compliance
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Roles & responsibilities
- Job Specific Competencies
- Role Specific Content: Knowledge of principles and practices of public procurement; ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines
- Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
- Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high-performance projects
- Organization-wide Competencies
- Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
- Possesses Customer-Focused Mindset: Ability to identify appropriate and relevant stakeholders; identifies internal and external stakeholders needs (customers); is responsive to stakeholder needs, considers impact when making recommendations
- Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
- Communicates Effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; strong presentation skills; demonstrates ability to develop and deliver relevant and appropriate communications; delivers messages in a direct manner; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
- Demonstrates Integrity and Judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of their true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based, and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Demonstrates Critical Thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to analyze complex problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
- Demonstrates Strategic Thinking: Identifies key issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; develops alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to develop a point of view on a course of action to accomplish goals; develops priorities with the right balance of short and long-term wins
- Demonstrates Contribution to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Supports equal and active participation and mutual respect; supports participation of people and groups with diverse identities, races, ethnicities, abilities, characteristics, cultures, socio-economic statuses, opinions, and beliefs; continuously challenges assumptions, and is mindful of unconscious bias, and leverages differences; understands historical and current context and root causes of inequities within society, systems and institutions; actively involves and reflects with the community First 5 LA serves.
- Minimum of five years of related experience and/or training in contract management preferred
- Experience working for a public agency, foundation, an organization managing public funds, or grantmaking entity preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited four-year college or university in public administration, business administration, economics, law, finance, contracts, risk management, or related field preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Advanced ability to use virtual engagement formats (e.g., Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Sli-do, etc.)
- Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
- Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Certification in contracts management or procurement is preferred
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please visit our website to apply.