Director of Economic Development
- 24 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Esperanza Community Housing Corporation is a social justice non-profit in South Central Los Angeles that achieves long-term, comprehensive community development. We recognize that Indigenous, Black, Latino, and immigrant communities are disproportionately impacted by historical oppression, health disparities, disinvestment, and displacement. Therefore, we develop and preserve affordable housing; elevate health equity and access to care; mobilize for environmental justice; create and protect local economic opportunities; expand engagement in arts and culture; and advocate for policies protecting human rights. Esperanza works collaboratively to strengthen South Los Angeles. In all of our actions, Esperanza builds hope with the community.
About this job
Mercado la Paloma is Esperanza Community Housing’s economic development venue; a former garment factory that has been redeveloped as a vibrant cultural and culinary hub, with restaurants, folk arts shops and services that are all first-time family-owned businesses. Serving as a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Economic Development will lead and provide direct oversight of all Mercado La Paloma economic development operations. A highly visible role, the Director of Economic Development is an experienced, dynamic and entrepreneurial professional with a successful track record in building effective working relationships, demonstrating a sharp business acumen and an effective strategic planner. The Director of Economic Development is charged with elevating the presence and engagement of the Mercado La Paloma as well as advancing its sustainability and economic success.
Compensation: The Director of Economic Development position is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary range of $70,000-$75,000. Salary is based on qualifications and experience. Esperanza Community Housing offers comprehensive benefits that include: 100% medical and dental, cash in lieu of medical and dental, unemployment, 401K with matching, group life, accidental death, long-term disability, and holiday/vacation/sick leave pay.
Roles & responsibilities
Financial Management & Performance
• Develop a financial plan and resources to ensure healthy operations and long-term financial sustainability of the Mercado.
• Manage the annual Mercado budget and required reporting.
• Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to support and expand business resources for Mercado’s business owners.
• In collaboration with the Director of Finance, oversee financial activities, including budgeting, expenditures, program management, and overall financial viability.
• Oversee the effective administration of the Mercado’s operations.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key staff, community partners, tenants, and vendors of the Mercado. Serve as meeting facilitator for all internal tenant and vendor partnership meetings.
• Provide oversight and manage all aspects of tenants’ lease life cycle and support the Director of Asset Management in lease renewals and rent collection.
• Ensure vendor compliance with policy, insurance, and licensing requirements.
• Serve as lead or main point of contact for all economic development projects and issues.
• Support Arts and Cultural programming, an integral part of the Mercado’s goal to increase patronage, visibility, and community engagement.
Property and Facilities Management
• Supervise Facility Manager to ensure proper oversight of facilities and maintenance.
• Support Director of Asset Manager to ensure compliance with permits, licenses, taxes and insurance.
• Work collaboratively with Facility Manager to develop and enforce policies and protocols to ensure a safe environment for all staff, tenants, vendors and patrons of the Mercado.
The Director of Economic Development works under the direction of the Executive Director and directly supervises Facility Manager, Security and Custodian teams.
● Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred.
● Excellent organizational, managerial, verbal and written communication skills.
● Minimum of 5 years supervisory responsibilities.
● Minimum of 5 years in an economic development position or comparable role
● Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) strongly preferred.
● Skilled facilitator.
● Understanding of business functions such as Finance, Budgeting, Rent Rolls etc.
● Demonstrable competency in Property Management and Commercial Leasing
● Demonstrated ability to plan and achieve annual goals and objectives.
● Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
● Comprehensive knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment, and techniques
● Experience with and knowledge of computer operation; knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.), and database applications.
● Valid California Driver’s License and proof of insurance if driving personal vehicle
● South LA residents encouraged to apply
Email a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to Elena Frias at email@example.com with the subject line: Director of Economic Development.