Make memories and make a difference this summer! Beach, lake, and river cleanups are an opportunity to get involved in your community and make public spaces safer and cleaner.
There are plenty of organizations in Los Angeles making a difference for the environment and many hold cleanup events regularly throughout the year:
- Cabrillo Marine Aquarium - Home to an aquarium display of the largest collection of SoCal marine life in the world, Cabrillo Marine Aquarium holds beach clean ups the first Saturday of every month at Cabrillo Beach Coastal Park. Get involved at the next cleanup events taking place August 3rd and September 7th.
- Friends of the Ballona Wetlands - A founding member of the Wetlands Restoration Principles Coalition, the Ballona Wetlands Ecological Reserve holds monthly creek cleanup and community restoration events, with the goal of creating a diverse habitat that both improves biodiversity protects rare and sensitive species. You can volunteer at the next events coming up July 19th, July 27th, August 16th and August 24th.
- Friends of the Los Angeles River - Friends of the Los Angeles River has lead the river movement since 1986, through its devotion to restore the Los Angeles River's natural habitat. This organization holds an annual event named CleanUp. You can sign up for updates on the 2020 CleanUp event or you can book a private clean-up of the River for your corporation through their year-round program called River Makers.
- Heal the Bay (2015 My LA2050 LIVE Winner) - Heal the Beach has advocated for clean ocean waters in Greater Los Angeles for the past 34 years through their Nothin' But Sand beach cleanups every third Saturday of the month. If you're unable to attend these events, you can do a private clean up through their Adopt-A-Beach and Suits on the Sand programs. Bring your family and friends to the next cleanups taking place July 20th and August 17th.
- Surfrider Foundation - Since its creation in 1984, the Surfrider Foundation has evolved into the largest non-profit grassroots organization dedicated to protecting the world's oceans. Surfrider LA hosts monthly cleanups on the weekend throughout Marina del Rey and the Ventura County line. Surfrider LA also offers corporate sponsored cleanups and the Sunset Corridor campaign, which is meant to share data around pollution with the LA County Board of Supervisors. Come out to the next events coming up July 28th and August 18th.
"DSC_0039"by DontBeAPassenger is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0