A list of free and affordable events in LA December 12th - 31st
This December, spend time with your friends and family while supporting local organizations. Most events are accessible by public transportation as well. Happy holidays, everyone!
- The Last Bookstore presents a solo acoustic set by Justin Remer, a fixture of their store staff, on December 12 (8 pm). You'll get a chance to hear songs from his new album “Dream Journal”, as well as some holiday tunes! Learn more about the event here.
Location: 453 S Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Getting there: Less than 5-min walk from Pershing Square Station (Metro Red/Purple Line)
- The Los Angeles Audubon Society is hosting its Malibu Christmas Bird Count on December 15 (8 am-12 pm). Join them on what is historically their best-attended count! Find out how to attend here.
- The Hammer Museum will be screening the classic holiday movie “Elf” on December 15 (11 am). Directed by Jon Favreau, this movie about a man who was raised as an elf and discovers he's actually human is a yearly rewatching for many. Get more information on the event here.
Location: 10899 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024
Getting there: Buses 8 or R12 from Westwood/Rancho Station (Metro Expo Line). Closest bus stops are also serviced by lines 6, 6R, 234, 602, 734, and 788
- The California African Art Museum will be hosting its CAAM Makers Fest on December 15 (1 pm -3 pm). Angelenos of every age will get the chance to learn from local artists in workshops that range from creating music shakers with recycled materials to embellishing clothes with retro cartoons. RSVP here.
Location: 600 State Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90037
Getting there: Less than 10-min walk from Expo Park/USC Station (Metro Expo Line)
- TreePeople is inviting Angelenos to join them on a guided moonlight hike on December 20 (7:30 pm - 8:30 pm). Arrive early to enjoy some live music while the sun sets before exploring Coldwater Canyon Park at night. Sign up here ($5 for non-members).
Location: 12601 Mulholland Dr, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Getting there: Hike, bike or carpool from the closest bus stops, which are serviced by lines 150, 240, 750, and 218
- The Music Center is throwing Los Angeles' largest multicultural holiday celebration on December 24 (3-6 pm). This live production will feature instrumental music, choral music, and dance performances by various diverse artists and community groups in Los Angeles. Find out how to attend or where to watch their broadcast here.
Location: 135 N Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Getting there: 5-min walk from Civic Center/Grand Park Station (Metro Red/Purple Line)
- The Bob Baker Marionette Theater is putting on one of their most requested shows “Holiday on Strings” through January 5. Celebrate this December tradition by joining the Wizard of Fantasy and his sidekick on a magical tour of the holiday galaxies! Check out their showtimes and purchase your $20 ticket here.
Location: 4949 York Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90042
Getting there: Closest bus stops are serviced by lines 83 and DASH Highland Park/Eagle Rock
- Grand Park, in conjunction with The Music Center, will be throwing a New Year's Eve Countdown starting at 8pm on December 31. Party the decade away with live music, food trucks, art installations, and an interactive countdown that will be 3D mapped on City Hall! Learn more about the event here.
Location: 200 N Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Getting there: Civic Center/Grand Park Station (Metro Red/Purple Line), or less than 15-min walk from Pershing Square Station (Metro Red/Purple Line)