We’ve got access to the information that every Angeleno needs to make an impact. Our blog features the latest LA2050 news, announcements, features, happenings, grantee updates, and more.
20 Indie Bookstores in Los AngelesPosted
Calling all bookworms! 📣📚❤️ Check out this two part map with a few of our favorite LA indie bookstores! (Quotes are from stores’ websites.)
Part 1 📖📍
1. Tía Chucha's Centro Cultural is "where art & minds meet for change,” both a cultural center and independent bookstore in Sylmar.
2. The Village Well Books & Coffee is "an independent bookstore café in the heart of Culver City."
3. The Salt Eaters Bookshop is an independent bookstore in Inglewood that prioritizes books, comics, and zines by and about Black women, girls, femmes, and gender expansive people.
4. Eso Won Books is a longstanding center for Black literary LA, located in Leimert Park. Its owners recently said they plan on closing the IRL store soon.
5. LA librería has "books for kids en Español," and also promotes cultural events, artists, and authors.
6. Chevalier's Books "LA's oldest independent bookstore and an iconic cornerstone of Larchmont Village.”
7. Skylight Books is a "fiercely independent bookstore” in Los Feliz.
8. The Last Bookstore is "the largest new & used bookstore in California" with a famous book tunnel, record shop, and more.
9. Page Against the Machine is a proudly progressive activist bookstore in Long Beach offering a curated selection of books and related material on activism and organizing.
10. Gatsby Books is the "literary heart of Long Beach" which hosts author events, poetry nights, and more.
Part 2 📖📍
11. The Ripped Bodice is "the only exclusively romance bookstore on the West Coast."
12. Sand Piper Books "is a new, used, rare, and out-of-print bookshop. We are an independently owned shop located in Torrance."
13. All Power Books is a volunteer-run bookshop in West Adams, with a “Buy a Comrade a Book” button on their website.
14. Reparations Club "is a Black-owned concept bookshop and creative space."
15. Philippine Expressions Bookshop is an independent bookstore in San Pedro with "all aspects of Philippine culture and history in English and Pilipino."
16. Libros Schmibros Lending Library "is a Boyle Heights-based lending library that puts low-or no-cost books into all hands, native and immigrant, Eastside and West.”
17. Other Books has "books, comics and zines in Boyle Heights."
18. Librería Libertadores – "Where knowledge frees you!" – is an immigrant owned family business in Lynwood.
19. Cafe con Libros Press is a nonprofit and volunteer-run bookstore in Downtown Pomona.
20. Magic Beans Children's Bookstore is "a children’s online bookstore with a mission: to promote independently published books and provide new books to underserved children."