Associate Director of Development
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Griffith Observatory Foundation is the exclusive non-profit partner of Griffith Observatory, which is owned and operated by the City of Los Angeles, Recreation and Parks Department. Our mission is to support and promote Griffith Observatory as a home for science literacy, education, and public astronomy through resource development and advocacy in partnership with the community.
About this job
Title: Associate Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full-time (exempt)
Location: Los Angeles, CA
This passionate and enthusiastic fundraiser will serve as the lead for Development activities, responsible for developing and implementing cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies. The Associate Director of Development (ADOD) will manage a major gifts portfolio of donors, oversee the Legacy Giving program and manage the Annual Giving and Membership Manager.
Roles & responsibilities
● Responsible for managing a portfolio of donors and prospects to drive the growth of the major giving program, known as the Vanguard Society.
● Develop and implement a comprehensive cultivation and stewardship plan, building relationships with major donors, maintaining an active schedule of personal interactions including phone calls, visits, and initiating one-on-one engagement and solicitation opportunities with donors.
● Cultivate prospects to join the Infinity Society (Legacy Giving Program).
● Solicit gifts of $1,000 - $10,000.
● Manage a direct report, Annual Giving and Membership Manager.
● Coordinate with Administrative Services to identify, qualify and manage prospects.
● Provide guidance over the maintenance of selected relationship management records for data/gift/donor stewardship including accurate, detailed records of donor outreach and donor giving history.
● Collaborate to implement and execute regular cultivation and engagement opportunities with donors both onsite and offsite.
Program planning and implementation
● Under the supervision and guidance of the Executive Director, create and implement an annual plan for a multi-channel Giving Program designed to meet the needs of the organization.
● Support Board Members with their participation in fundraising activities.
● Produce progress and financial reports for the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
● Use Blackbaud Altru database to track activities and pull reports.
● Collaborate with Marketing and Communications, consultants, and other members of the team as appropriate.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Minimum of three to five years of progressive responsibility and experience as a professional development officer. Working knowledge of the principles and practices of fundraising.
● Proven skills in developing strategies in planning, implementing and administering complex major gift solicitations or other solicitations of a similar nature, level and complexity.
● Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with senior leadership, staff, and the Board of Directors toward the accomplishment of fundraising goals.
● Strong ability to recruit, orient, train, organize, motivate, and evaluate staff and volunteers who support development goals and programs.
● Ability to establish priorities, manage multiple tasks and multi-phase projects simultaneously from inception to completion and complete work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment with minimum supervision.
● Ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, about fundraising goals and the specific priorities of the organization.
● Excellent written and communication skills, with the ability to produce business correspondence, solicitation materials, appropriate letters of acknowledgement, proposals to individuals, corporations and foundations, and reports.
● Impeccable integrity and discretion in dealing with donors, administrators, and colleagues as well as confidential information.
● Experience conceptualizing, planning, and implementing special events.
● Knowledge of Microsoft Suite of applications is required as is familiarity with other applications, programs and databases as needed with a willingness to learn new technologies.
● Ability to travel and work some weekends and/or evenings as needed.
● Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations, and required to wear a mask on site.
Please email a letter of interest and resume to: