- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
The CSSSA Foundation supports the students and programs of the California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA). Through fundraising, recruiting and outreach, program support, and alumni engagement, the CSSSA Foundation is committed to improving access to arts education and professional success. It is our longstanding mission to help CSSSA reflect the diversity of the state, and as part of that mission, we guarantee scholarships for any student accepted to the program with financial need. The Foundation also provides for Guest Artist Residencies and procurement of high-tech equipment and supplies for students. Unequal access to arts education is a profound issue facing CA. CSSSA was created to help bridge that divide and provide a pathway to the creative economy (and other forms of success and wellbeing) for California’s next generation. From pre-application, through college, and beyond, the CSSSA Foundation seeks out and invests in talented, motivated teens.
About this job
CSSSA Foundation is seeking a Communications Director to join our team in a full-time capacity. Managing CSSSAF’s communications activities involves developing marketing and communication strategies; understanding the importance of trends, timing, and goal setting; overseeing a diverse set of communications methods; and ensuring that information released is consistent with overall company strategy. This position will involve significant time spent developing and implementing content for communications campaigns directed at students, alumni, and funders.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, range is $75-88k annually; includes benefits package with employer-sponsored health and vision plan, 401k, unlimited leave policy, paid parental leave.
Roles & responsibilities
Communications Director Responsibilities:
- Developing and executing a cohesive communications strategy
- Implementing a diverse set of communications strategies and content creation
- Managing media relations
- Communicating with alumni and increasing network engagement
- Managing a communications budget
- Ensuring quality control of all information released
- Specific Communications and Media Needs
- Develop, implement and manage communications, marketing material, events, print, and digital media
- Develop and implement fundraising campaigns across multiple platforms including print, email, and social media
- Drive stakeholder engagement through day-to-day content creation for students, donors, alumni, and other stakeholders and community members
- Moderate community messaging and social media platforms including responding to comments and messages, and ensuring consistent posting, branding, and engagement
- Possess basic graphic design knowledge and skills to ensure content is informative and appealing
- Stay up to date with latest social media best practices and technologies
- Write and design newsletters, email blasts, and donor communications
- Manage website development and updates
- Manage social media marketing tools, such as Hootsuite, and track metrics
- Pursue opportunities for publicity and build media relationships
- Oversee creation of an Annual Report
Communications Director Requirements:
- A degree in communications, marketing or related field or equivalent experience
- Awareness of and proficiency with multiple communications technologies
- Experience in stakeholder/community engagement
- Clear and concise communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong and confident leadership
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to attend and facilitate events in the Los Angeles area and occasionally (1-3x per year) in other areas of the state
- Experience working in diverse communities and across social, economic, and cultural differences strongly preferred
- Exceptional writing skills: Candidates must have the ability to present complex concepts, findings, and recommendations in succinct, salient, and readable reports and memos; ability to write for a variety of audiences including major foundations, individual donors, general audiences, and nonprofit professionals
- Excellent interpersonal skills: Ability to work well both as a member of a team and independently
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong capacity to be self-reflective and self-directed; takes ownership of communications program and invests in organization’s success
- Intellectual curiosity, creativity, and alignment with mission and organizational values, including diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Must be located in Los Angeles or willing to relocate
- Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
To Apply: Please submit your resume at email@example.com with the subject: “Communications Director Position”. No calls please.
Please tell us in your email in no more than 200 words each, 1) what is the greatest strength you would bring to this role? and 2) what draws you to this position?
Position is open until filled. Hiring ASAP.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: CSSSAF is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all qualified individuals. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, family or parental status of any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.