Director of Development
- 2 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Westside Food Bank (WSFB) is a 501(c)3 non-profit founded in 1981 that provides food to over 55 social service agencies on the Westside of Los Angeles County. WSFB focuses on providing personalized service to our member agencies and ensuring that our food distribution includes a wide range of nutritious foods. Through WSFB, over five million pounds of food will reach about 200,000 local people over the next year.
Westside Food Bank’s mission is to end hunger in our communities by providing access to free nutritious food through food acquisition and distribution, and by engaging the community and advocating for a strong food assistance network.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Development will create, cultivate, implement, and monitor a comprehensive multi-year development plan to achieve consistent revenue growth sufficient to meet Westside Food Bank’s strategic objectives. The ideal candidate will bring experience in managing multiple components of development work including donor stewardship, grant writing, major gifts, planned gifts, social media strategy and event planning.
WSFB’s fundraising activities currently raise over $4 Million annually through a robust grant seeking program for private foundation funding, a comprehensive marketing and individual donor cultivation strategy, as well as a limited program for local and federal government grants. WSFB’s budget has more than doubled during the pandemic and we’ve added over 2,000 new donors. The Director of Development will direct efforts to steward these new donors as well as expand our Recurring, Major, and Planned Giving programs.
The Director of Development will oversee a Development Associate and will play a significant role in the hiring process for an additional development staff position. The DoD will coordinate with WSFB’s fund development committee as well as our interns and partners including vendors providing digital marketing, graphic design, video production, mailing house, event production, donor database, and more.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop the organization's fund development plan and calendars including, grant seeking, campaigns and events, public relations, media outreach, and social media. Develop goals and metrics to measure success and oversee implementation of each action plan.
- Develop the case for funding and write letters of interest, grant proposals, and reports to private and corporate foundations and host site visits. Assign a portfolio of grant prospects to Development staff and review grant proposals and other materials prepared for submission to foundation funders.
- Research and identify funder prospects and develop meaningful relationships to garner more financial, in-kind, volunteer, and other support for the organization from private foundations, individuals, businesses, faith communities, schools, and the media.
- Cultivate and steward donors to maintain and increase giving through phone calls, donor meetings, facility tours, email, mail campaigns, and more.
- Oversee maintenance of WSFB’s Bloomerang CRM donor database including timely entry of donor information from cultivation & stewardship activities.
- Enhance recurring, major, and planned giving programs.
Leadership & Community Engagement
- Attend bi-monthly Board meetings and report to the CEO and Board regularly on progress toward goals in each Development strategy area.
- Supervise, coach, and mentor a staff of at least 2 full-time development positions working on grant research, social media, communications and public relations, event planning, data analysis, video & audio production, program research, and other development tasks.
- With the committee chair/co-chairs, schedule and lead Fund Development Committee meetings to garner support for fund development and communications efforts including an annual Hunger Walk, direct mail, digital marketing, and fundraising and cultivation events.
- Participate in Strategic Planning, engaging with the CEO and the Strategic Planning Committee to develop the vision and plan for the organization's future sustainability and enhanced service to the community.
- Represent WSFB at outside events including conferences, networking events, faith-based services, etc. Give presentations, conduct media interviews, and inform the community about our work.
- Coordinate with outside supporters that hold events benefiting WSFB to ensure smooth operation, brand integrity, and provide necessary support.
- Develop, plan, oversee, and execute content creation including writing compelling copy and approving design for website, social media, newsletters, donor communications, brochures, flyers, press releases, advertising, video production, photography, and other materials to promote and explain WSFB's work.
- 5+ years’ experience working in fund development including a history of securing major gifts and grant awards
- Passion for the cause and a desire to excel in fundraising, communications, and development work.
- Strong written communication skills: ability to write and edit clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive narrative.
- Bilingual Spanish speaking & writing, a plus.
- Experience with Capital Campaigns a plus.
- Strong computer skills – Microsoft Office Suite (Word, EXCEL and PowerPoint), internet and social media savvy. Adobe and/or Canva design skills a plus.
- Working knowledge of CRM/databases, creating and analyzing reports. Experience with Bloomerang, Classy, and other CRM/fundraising platforms a plus.
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Sheets, Forms, Calendar, Drive, etc.
- Ability to learn new programs and software quickly.High level of initiative and a proven leader and motivator of people with a commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- High emotional intelligence, friendly personality, a creative self-starter, and strong social and networking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with confidential and sensitive information relating to donors and fundraising.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Experience creating video, social media, and advertising content a plus.
The Westside Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Envision Consulting has been retained by Westside Food Bank to support the search for their incoming Director of Development.
APPLY HERE: https://bit.ly/WestsideFBDOD