Major Gifts Officer
- 2 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
TreePeople is a vibrant, growing environmental nonprofit organization that mobilizes individuals, families, communities, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by providing education on the benefits of planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. TreePeople unites with communities to grow a greener, shadier and more water-secure region at homes, neighborhoods, schools and in the local mountains.
We are seeking an accomplished and savvy Major Gifts Officer to join our Development team. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, this position will be responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive fundraising strategies for securing philanthropic support from a portfolio of around 125 major and principal gift prospects and suspects.
- Develops and stewards a robust portfolio of individual, foundation, corporation, and planned giving donors, suspects, and prospects for principal, major and planned gifts.
- Creates and executes customized solicitation strategies based on strategic objectives of the organization and the interests of the donor.
- Assist in preparation of a comprehensive capital campaign.
- Engage in face-to-face and virtual solicitation of major gifts, and partner with senior and program staff on donor engagement opportunities.
- Develop and execute cultivation and stewardship opportunities for donors and prospects in the portfolio and participate in donor-focused events.
- Utilize Salesforce to record all donor interactions.
- Work closely with the Major Gift Manager and development team to ensure timely portfolio moves and solicitations.
- Assist the Chief Development Officer and the CEO with donor outreach, cultivation, and strategy as needed.
- Lead donor-focused events as required.
- Support the organization’s key priorities, such as working towards environmental and social justice underserved/under resourced communities, restoring ecosystems, planting trees and incorporating nature-based solutions such as community education, tools and support to create an environmental change.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors’ degree in environmental studies/science, communications, marketing, journalism, business administration or a liberal arts field a plus.
- 6+ years of experience in major gifts fundraising for a medium to large nonprofit organization with a diverse portfolio of prospects.
- Experience directly soliciting and closing gifts of $50K+
- Experience soliciting and closing planned gifts.
- Fundraising and campaign experience in the environmental, social justice or conservation field is strongly preferred.
- Ability to build productive relationships with a variety of constituents.
- Must have a familiarity with various fundraising concepts and demonstrate a command of industry standards, ethics, and integrity.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision.
- Must be organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and follow-up skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
- A strong alignment with TreePeople’s mission and a passion for the environment is important.
JOIN THE TREEPEOPLE TEAM, APPLY AT: