- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Downtown Los Angeles. This job will be temporarily remote with an expectation to return to an office setting in spring 2022, with some possible work-from-home flexibility.
Who We Are:
The Durfee Foundation invests in the people and possibilities in Los Angeles County. We believe that novel ideas from people with fresh perspective, passion, and determination will generate a brighter future for LA. Through our core grant programs, we offer rest and renewal, as well as financial and professional support, to some of Los Angeles’s most innovative changemakers.
We are a small, highly collaborative and supportive team that works with great care for our community and is deeply committed to the success of our partners. We seek to build trust-based relationships with individuals and organizations who share our ideals of creativity, risk-taking, equity, integrity, fiscal care, and continuous learning. For more information, please visit https://durfee.org/.
The position of Program Manager at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to a candidate who is committed to and has a demonstrated track record of engagement in the social sector. The position offers a unique opportunity to be exposed to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of Los Angeles County’s premier nonprofit, public sector and movement leaders.
The Program Manager will primarily handle all day-to-day operation of the Lark Awards, including outreach, selection, panels, contracts, budget management, fund distribution, program assessment and the production of cohort convenings. The Program Manager will also oversee and support Durfee’s involvement in special projects, including the
Nonprofit Sustainability Initiative, the Trust-Based Philanthropy Project, and others. The job should be approached with an expectation of a minimum two-three year engagement with the Foundation.
The Program Manager reports to the Executive Director and works under the daily supervision of the Director of Programs and Operations. The ideal candidate should be intellectually curious, gracious, self-motivated, detail-oriented and technologically proficient with interest in developing a career in the nonprofit, public or social benefit sector.
The job comes with excellent benefits, and potential for growth into more programmatic responsibility.
- Maintain cordial communication with applicants and awardees
- Provide consultation and assistance to prospective grant applicants and grantees
- Manage review of grant applications and selection process
- Conduct due diligence on grant candidates
- Generate letters of agreement and management of fund distribution
- Oversee grant reporting and follow-up
- Produce cohort convenings, inclusive of all logistics
- Serve as point person for Lark awardees, alum organizations, and consultants
- Implement and seek opportunities to improve awards process in collaboration with staff and consultants
- Prepare and manage program budget
- Support special projects and grants outside of Durfee’s core programs
- Serve as principal staff lead on planning in-person and virtual events, including conferences, trainings, and general Durfee network gatherings
Support to the Board of Trustees:
- Write program update memos to the Board and support board book production process
- Present program updates and requests to the Board at board meetings
Operational and Administrative Support
- Support website maintenance and social media management
- Provide significant support during the annual audit process
- Work with the Director of Programs and Operations to manage cash flow and grant payments
- Process vendor invoices and payments
- Strong technical skills in Mac OS High Sierra, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Wordpress (familiarity with online application systems and database management a plus)
- Strong organizational skills, including good written and oral communications, attention to detail and follow-through
- Experience in budgeting and financial management
- Events planning and production
- Management and implementation of extended projects
- Good judgment, diplomacy in dealing with a variety of people and circumstances
- Ability to work both independently and as a team, and to follow instructions with minimum supervision
- Flexibility, adaptability, and capacity to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Graphic design a plus
- Passionate about Los Angeles and the social sector
- College degree and/or three to five years of comparable work experience in the social sector
- Prior experience in program management, including budgeting and financial oversight
- Rooted connection to community in Los Angeles a plus
Salary and Benefits
- $65,000 -$70,000 depending on experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403b retirement fund, with employer match after one year
- Matching gifts/volunteer hours program
- Two weeks vacation, plus two elective holidays for cultural observances in addition to federal holidays
- One additional week vacation when the office is closed for holidays in late December
- Support to engage in professional development opportunities
Start Date: June 1, 2022
Applications Due: April 24, 2022
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com
Subject line: Program Manager
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In a cover letter of no more than 1-2 pages, please address the following questions:
What are your professional goals, and why?
What do you love about Los Angeles?
Please, no phone calls.