Movement Lab Community Organizer
- 2 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
SAJE (Strategic Actions for a Just Economy) is hiring a Movement Lab Community Organizer to work with our Land Use and Equitable Development Team!
The Movement Lab Community Organizer will support the work of the LA Housing Movement Lab, a collaborative of organizations in Los Angeles County advancing Long-Term Movement Goals to decommodify housing, reduce corporate ownership of land and housing and shift cultural narratives to grow support for housing and economic justice. The Organizer will outreach to, onboard and organize coalition partners and support the involvement of their base member leaders involved in the Movement Lab’s work. The Organizer will also grow SAJE’s base of member leaders participating in the Movement Lab and related campaign work.
ABOUT SAJE: Strategic Actions for a Just Economy (SAJE) is a 501 c3 organization located in South Central Los Angeles. We are a membership-based organization, and for over 25 years we have worked side-by-side with our neighbors to improve our community by advocating for tenant rights, healthy housing, and equitable development. We train people to organize and advocate for themselves, their families, and their communities. We believe the fate of city neighborhoods should be decided by those who dwell there and collaborate with community organizations and public officials to ensure this occurs in a manner that is fair, replicable, and sustainable. Our staff includes community organizers, outreach specialists, canvassers, researchers, and communication specialists, organized in cross-functional teams.
The Land Use and Equitable Development Team is rethinking urban policy to ensure development includes our whole community from conceptualization to completion. In the process, we’re finding bold solutions to fight displacement. We organize tenants from low income communities of color to be actively involved in urban planning processes that have too often excluded them, and work for community control over land and housing by championing the voice of residents over corporations.
The LA Housing Movement Lab amplifies movements for housing justice by crafting strategy, tactics, analysis and narrative to transform housing in Los Angeles County and guarantee that all poor, working class and people of color live in high-quality, safe and affordable homes within stable, healthy, resilient, accessible and vibrant communities. We believe this North Star goal can only be achieved by resisting the corporate ownership of our communities and by dramatically increasing the amount of housing that is publicly- and/or community-controlled.
SAJE Community Organizers build our base by recruiting and training community leaders. With your team, you will work to develop programs and campaigns that advance our work.
The Movement Lab Community Organizer will have the following job responsibilities:
- Conduct project/campaign outreach and recruitment through activities such as door-knocking, surveying, follow up phone conversations, and house visits with potential leaders
- Develop leaders in the community: identify new leaders, develop and retain relationships with leaders, engage them in dialog to help us to guide, ground, and shape SAJE’s campaigns
- Maintain campaign contact and referral databases and records on all campaigns
- Maintain time records on a weekly basis (hours worked and activities conducted)
- Develop materials to aid in organizing and advancing campaigns (such as fliers and workshop curricula)
- Organize, facilitate, and/or supervise grassroots campaign meetings
- Speak and prepare leaders to speak to media about campaigns
- With your team, develop and implement organizing and political strategies
- Develop a strong working knowledge of tenant rights and policies related to SAJE projects and campaigns, and keeping that knowledge base current
- Organize and supervise community delegations to key decision-makers and public forums
- Develop and maintain relationships with other organizations and institutions to increase our presence in the community
- Outreach to, onboard and coordinate coalition organizations
- Support campaign advocacy efforts
Responsibilities for all SAJE staff:
- Manage calendar, set goals, and create a weekly work plan
- You must voice a commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
- You must support SAJE’s mission, vision, and policy stances
- You must provide interpretation and translation from other languages, dialects, or language registers if your knowledge and skills enable you to do so
- You will also participate in other SAJE activities, as needed. These duties include participating in all SAJE all-staff activities and could also include attending meetings and hearings, canvassing, fundraising, and other assorted tasks
- You may have to perform other duties, as the organization’s needs determine.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Valid auto insurance that meets SAJE’s required limits
- Strong commitment to social justice and an understanding of the challenges facing tenants in working class, immigrant communities
- Experience in community or labor organizing OR health or housing outreach and education
- Ability to gain the trust of, motivate, and spark an interest among local residents
- Ability to support, track, and increase local residents’ leadership skills and other relevant data
- Good presentation, and speaking skills and a capacity to explain complex information and issues in easy-to-understand manner, including ability to use popular-education techniques
- A strong track record of working with different kinds of stakeholders and groups including immigrant workers, low-income community residents, clergy and churches, unions, community based organizations, academic institutions, and government gatekeepers and staff
Qualifications for all SAJE staff
Must be able to:
- Communicate verbally in English
- Write and read well in English
- Use or learn to use widely available and commonly used software and to use a computer
- Do simple mathematics
- Use or learn to use Excel or other spreadsheets
- Record data and read data in databases
- Work well in teams and communicate effectively with other individuals
- Stand and walk for long periods of time
- Lift weights up to 50 pounds
- Carry on appropriate conversations and develop productive professional relationships
- Perform a variety of duties even with distractions or interruptions, and adjust priorities quickly
- Be vaccinated against diseases as recommended by medical professionals
- Committed to justice
- Warm and positive with community members
- Flexible in time and mind: there will be weekly evening commitments and work required during the weekend
- Organized and detail oriented; excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work, strong capacity for independent and collaborative problem solving
SAJE is an equal opportunity employer; we strongly encourage people of color, women, and LGBTQI people, veterans, and people of all ages to apply. SAJE is a family-friendly employer. Accordingly, we strive to maintain a forty-hour work week and a sustainable work/life balance and offer a competitive benefits package and salary (based on experience).
This is a full time, permanent position that comes with medical, dental, and vision insurance, sick days, vacation pay, paid holidays, and the option to enroll in a retirement plan. The position is non-exempt; pay for this position begins at $24.33 per hour (equivalent to $50,600 per year).
Please send a thoughtful cover letter, resume, three references, and a short, recent writing sample (e.g. organizing rap, newsletter article, one pager, blog post, etc.) as Microsoft Word attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2022. In your email please include subject line “Movement Lab Community Organizer Application”.