Seasonal Program Assistant
- 2 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Position Title: Seasonal Program Assistant
Reports to: Program and Marketing Director
Role Summary: The Program Assistant will work on-site and will be responsible for monitoring the aquarium during public hours, coordinating volunteers and service learning students on-site as well as assist with program related duties, including marketing tasks, student education, events, etc.
Hours per week: Part-time, seasonal (March through September)
Hours will be based on the Roundhouse Aquarium program schedule and public hours. Must be available evenings and both Saturday and Sunday all day.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for opening and closing procedures during assigned public education shifts
- Assist with coordinating volunteers and service learning students
- Delegate daily tasks and coordinate rotations during shifts
- Educate volunteers and provide development and learning opportunities
- Maintain a professional and welcoming environment with guests, staff and volunteers
- Educate guests and enhance visitor experience; encourage return visits
- Maintain public areas of the aquarium
- Conduct informal marine science education programs for school groups, scout troops, birthday parties, fairs, etc
- Assist with programs, public education and community events, as needed
- Assist with marketing and social media
- Perform other duties as required and assigned
- Applicants should have a genuine interest in the environment, the ocean, and marine life, and the desire to share and teach others about these topics.
- College degree required. Knowledge in marine biology, zoology, environmental science or a related field preferred.
- Must have excellent guest service and communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable handling and working with live animals and non-living animal specimens.
- Must enjoy working with the general public, making public announcements, and interacting with kids and visitors of all ages.
- Must be able to stand for several hours and maintain an alert, professional posture when not actively engaged with visitors. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Program and Marketing Director
Applications accepted through 3/8/22. Interviews will be conducted 3/10/22-3/17/22.