- 2 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Aboard Los Angeles Maritime Institute vessels: American Pride, Exy Johnson, Irving Johnson. Located in Los Angeles and Long Beach.
Our Crew members have a job that is constantly evolving. We get to help the world develop a closer relationship with the ocean, through the course of our discovery based school sails, wacky adventures during summer camps, and all sorts of other public and private events.
Crew are called on to learn a wide range of skills to help run our ships, interact with the public as ambassadors of maritime excitement, and help our students to grow throughout their time with us.
- Degree in Marine Biology, Environmental Sciences, Education, or related field
- Experience or desire to work in outdoor education, sail training, or informal education
- Experience working aboard a traditionally rigged sailing vessel
- First Aid/CPR, Lifeguard Certification
Contracted Position of 6 month. Summer Positions also available. The position includes many aspects that vary depending on the season and programming but will include:
- Living and working aboard a tall ship. Including shipboard maintenance: sanding, varnishing, painting, cleaning, replacing rigging, and decking.
- Carrying out voyaging programs as a watch officer and camp counselor, including snorkeling, hiking, swimming, cooking, playing games with students, teaching navigation, climbing.
- Teaching during 3-5 hr educational sails. Lessons include sail handling, water chemistry, ocean plastic pollution, mechanical advantage, knots, maritime history, and physics of sailing.
- Being a leader and role model during programming. It is our expectation that staff members maintain a professional attitude, work as a member of a team, enjoy working in an outdoor setting, and assist in creating a positive caring environment for all of our participants.
The schedules of the vessels vary greatly. Offering a dynamic program, of single day experiences and residential programs, we strive to reach all youth in new and innovative programming models. Please expect to work a varying schedule that includes weekends and some holidays.
A combination of wages and a scholarship stipend of $978 per month. Room and Board are provided, aboard one of our tall ships. 100 ton, near coastal, sailing endorsement sea time letters provided.
Please email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Los Angeles Maritime Institute c/o Jeff Dwyer
Call 310.833.6055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org