VP of External Affairs
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
L.A. Works volunteers are changemakers, giving their time, expertise, and resources to build the capacity of nonprofit organizations across LA in order to uplift the entire community. As the largest and longest running volunteer action center in Los Angeles, we have a team of over 20 staff members who create meaningful volunteer experiences to educate and activate Angelenos to provide positive impact.
The VP of External Affairs is a vital member of L.A. Works’ senior leadership team. Responsible for deepening the organization’s impact in the community, this role secures essential sustainable funding opportunities through the cultivation of strategic corporate, government, and community relationships. Overseeing the growth of L.A. Works’ corporate volunteer program, as well as deepening relationships with public officials and targeted nonprofit networks, the VP of External Affairs will actively promote L.A. Works to external stakeholders in order to cement our position as the “go to” partner to impact critical community needs.
The ideal candidate will have strong networking and communications skills, be a self-starter who can multi-task, be knowledgeable about the latest trends in the government and nonprofit sectors, have an entrepreneurial mindset, and have experience working with and/or managing volunteers.
Essential Job Functions
The list that follows is not intended to be comprehensive; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities of the position. Incumbents may not be required to perform all roles listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
- Collaborate strategically with corporations to leverage their resources for maximum impact, driving engagements and experiences that build connections with community and deepen the their understanding of local goals and challenges;
- Oversee Corporate Team’s social enterprise program to mobilize up to 5,000 volunteers annually, raising at least $450,000 annually in fees-for-service;
- Secure Signature Event sponsorship support of at least $100,000 each year;
- Answer initial corporate inquiries, pitch new prospects, lead presentations, close deals, and provide client customer service to potential corporate sponsors;
- Secure signed agreements and ensuring timely payments from all corporate clients;
- Manage corporate relationships with consistent communication year-round to bring corporate volunteers into the L.A. Works family (managed in salesforce) and increase their annual engagement with additional L.A. Works programming, like:
- RSVP – for skilled volunteers, retirees, and volunteers age 55+;
- Workforce development – for professional experience, STEM, and resume building programming;
- Educational Equity program – for volunteers interested in tutoring/mentoring programming.
- Support the organization’s efforts to create and coordinate MLK Day and any other annual signature days of service by leading Corporate Team’s efforts to identify volunteer action and advocacy projects; and
- Play a significant role in development and launch of new revenue generating corporate initiatives, beyond hands-on projects.
Government and Community Engagement
- Lead the team to build relationships with nonprofits and public agencies to enhance the L.A. Works brand, raise the profile of the organization, and identify new sources of revenue;
- Communicate with elected official offices to alert them when service is being done in their area and work with them to identify needs and opportunities for collaboration;
- Research and understand legislative actions impacting the nonprofit community – and make recommendations on what to drive volunteers to support;
- Spearhead Strategic Partnership taskforce to empower team to participate in meetings, conferences, professional networking events, and affinity groups as a representative for L.A. Works;
- Conduct presentations as a thought leader on volunteerism, representing L.A. Works to external stakeholders such as funders, alumni groups, elected officials, conferences and meetings, etc.;
- Identify new funding opportunities related to public funding; and
- Track city-wide/statewide initiatives in order to identify issue trends
Development and other organizational responsibilities
- Develop an annual fundraising goal that includes corporate, foundation, and public funding, and then secure said funding, in collaboration with Executive Director and development staff;
- Write and prepare proposals, reports, budgets, correspondence, and other documents;
- Support the Executive Director in leading team meetings, strategic vision meetings, retreats and board presentations;
- Serve as a site or project leader when needed;
- Help set the culture and tone for the organization to encourage teamwork, inclusion, and positivity;
- Hold regular team meetings and one-on-one meetings with all direct reports to evaluate current work, maintain communication and coordination, and set individual professional development plans;
- Implement standardized processes, procedures, and quality controls within department; and
- Lead the recruitment, hiring, training, evaluation, and retention of department staff;
- Utilize Salesforce CRM to track all corporate, government, and community relationships;
- Help with corporate supply logistics like van loading and unloading; and
- Any other duties for the benefit of the overall organization as assigned by the Executive Director.
Key Qualifications and expectations:
- A minimum of eight to ten years of experience in nonprofit management, philanthropy, public policy, public administration, program development, community development, civic engagement, organizational or community capacity building, or other relevant field(s) required. Lived experience in a community traditionally under-represented in nonprofit leadership roles strongly preferred. Master’s degree or equivalent experience a plus.
- Commitment to racial equity and participating in L.A. Works’ equity and advocacy work;
- Experience working with diverse groups and in a team environment, with a collaborative and consultative leadership style;
- Knowledge of the nonprofit volunteering sector; in-depth understanding of volunteer management and engagement practices;
- Proficient computer skills required;
- Strong customer service skills with professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone;
- Comfortable delivering presentations and guiding a room of participants;
- Proactive, self-directed, positive and results-oriented with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to be creative and resourceful to develop new, unique programs and initiatives; and
- Open to and excited by the opportunity to inform our strategic thinking and work within an entrepreneurial environment.
Reporting: This position reports to the Executive Director
L.A. Works strives to model our vision of a just, vibrant, and inclusive Los Angeles. As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Covid-19 safety: L.A. Works requires its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exemptions as required by law. New hires working at L.A. Works must be fully vaccinated no later than 60 days after hire. All employees are also required to submit to additional masking and social distancing requirements.
Time expectations and salary: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary of $75,000 is commensurate with internal equity. L.A. Works offers a competitive benefit package including health insurance, professional development opportunities, a non-match 401k, and generous time-off. The job description doesn't constitute a contract of employment and L.A. Works may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time
To apply, please email a cover letter describing why you are a good fit for this role and your resume as a single pdf document to email@example.com.