Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator - Los Angeles County
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Organization: Food Forward, Inc – a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
Position: Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator
Hours: Full-time, non-exempt
Location: North Hollywood, CA (this position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19)
Organizational Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people experiencing food insecurity and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are collected in Los Angeles and Ventura counties from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market, and other commercial sources. This recovered produce is provided, free of charge to hunger relief organizations that serve community members in various ways: food banks, homeless outreach agencies, domestic violence shelters, transitional youth homes, veteran services, family resource centers, LGBTQ+ teen/adult/senior services, college student assistance programs, programs serving people with disabilities, and many more. Since Food Forward’s inception, our staff and thousands of dedicated volunteers have rescued over 200 million pounds of fruits and vegetables. This produce helped to feed millions of people across eleven Southern California counties, throughout seven states, as well as in tribal lands in the Southwest annually. *See our core values posted below.
Position Overview: The Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator will directly report to the Associate Director of Community Programs. This person will play an important role in supporting, maintaining and expanding the Farmers Market Recovery (FMR) Program. This position is an entry-level position and provides an opportunity to become deeply involved in the food justice community, while working to grow the program’s presence in Los Angeles & Ventura Counties. The Program Coordinator is the bridge between Food Forward’s wonderful volunteers, farmers market vendors, receiving agencies, and organizational needs. As such, the ideal candidate must possess excellent communication skills and the wherewithal to conduct delicate conversations with multiple stakeholders. This position will work closely with our Community Programs staff, supporting them as needed, and will be primarily based out of Food Forward’s offices in Ventura, with occasional work out of our office in North Hollywood.
The ideal candidate is passionate about improving food systems and eradicating hunger, and is able to work both independently and collaboratively, in-person and remotely. We are looking for someone extremely detail-oriented to participate, schedule, coordinate logistics for weekly events. We are seeking someone who is comfortable addressing problems and employing outside of the box thinking to find solutions. The person in this role will have access to a Food Forward vehicle for many work-related tasks but occasional personal vehicle usage will be required. Applicable mileage will be eligible for reimbursement at standard IRS rates.
- Coordinate all aspects of gleaning events:
- Conduct timely and effective communication with a variety of stakeholders (event leaders, farmers market vendors and managers, hunger relief agencies, potential partners, etc) to achieve program objectives
- Coordinate receiving agencies for pick-up and drop-offs of gleaned produce
- Procure, secure, maintain and stock storage locations for market gleaning equipment
- Collect, review and maintain program metrics, data and event reports via Excel, Google Workspace, Tableau & CITRA (Food Forward’s proprietary database)
- Recruit, train and build working relationships with FMR volunteer event leaders
- Lead FMR events as needed
- Help establish new partnerships and represent the FMR program at various meetings and conferences
- Create content for program bulletins
- Play a key role in supervising program assistants and interns
- Ad Hoc duties as assigned
- Mandatory availability Monday & Saturdays and general willingness to work a flexible schedule and early and evening hours on occasion
- Saturdays will require being in the field at events, leading, restocking or other ad hoc duties
- Computer literate and proficiency in Microsoft Excel & Google Workspace
- Maintain Valid Class C Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to lift and carry boxes of produce weighing up to 55lbs repeatedly from ground to vehicles and over unstable ground
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, bend, lift, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as needed
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors
- Willingness to drive Food Forward vehicles (training provided)
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Desired Start Date: Immediately
- Hours: Full-Time, non-exempt
- Salary: $19.71 per hour
- Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone allowance
- Telecommuting and Work flexibility
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to email@example.com. The subject line should read, Farmers Market Recovery Coordinator – (Your Name). In the body of the cover letter include 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a variety of produce what would you be and why?
No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.