- 3 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Are you interested in making a difference in the lives of families facing homelessness? Are you searching for not just a job, but a calling? Door of Hope, a Christian nonprofit that empowers families facing homelessness to transform their lives, is hiring a Housing Navigator to be part of our life-changing work.
The Housing Navigator will assist and advocate for families to locate, secure, and retain affordable permanent housing. The Housing Navigator must thrive working in a fast-paced, group-oriented setting, and enjoy working on the field engaging with both public and private agencies. This person will develop and implement housing plans to address barriers to obtaining and maintaining permanent housing, prepare housing applications with a strong focus on attention to detail, and is accountable to the Program Manager for the timely processing of any documentation submitted to Housing Authorities, Permanent Supportive Housing providers, and/or private landlords on behalf of their clients.
- 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday
- 1 day work from home, 4 days in-office in Pasadena
- Conduct regular, in-person meetings with clients to develop and implement housing plans and budget
- Collaborate with Case Managers to ensure clients stay on track toward housing goals
- Discuss housing plan barriers and link clients to appropriate resources
- Assist clients with housing applications, interpreting leases and understanding tenant rights and responsibilities, and searching for housing
- Assist clients with completing supportive and subsidized housing paperwork
- Strategize and present housing leads to clients that include listings from housing authorities, internet, and internal database of landlords/management firms/owners
- Provide education to clients on how to complete housing applications, searches, and tenant rights and responsibilities
- Transport clients as needed to housing viewing appointments, move-ins, housing authority appointments, and specific visits to relevant social service agencies that will support meeting housing plan goals
- Develop and maintain a database of landlords and management firms working with the program, including a list of available units and amenities specific to each respective site
- Cultivate relationships with landlords willing to provide housing for participant
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of landlord appreciation / engagement events
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure participants have the necessary items to secure housing and meet their housing goals
- Provide advocacy to address issues and barriers between landlords and participants that may prevent move-ins
- Participate in case conferencing and case presentations
- Participate in individual and group supervision, agency, and community meetings as directed by the supervisor
- Assist in maintaining case files, records, and other required documentation related to housing placement
- Perform housing inspections
- Perform any other task necessary to support the mission of Door of Hope
- 1-3 years of experience in case management, strongly preferred
- Bilingual: Spanish/English preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues facing clients (e.g. health, substance abuse, mental health, domestic abuse, trauma, immigration, legal)
- Knowledgeable about services for families experiencing homelessness throughout Los Angeles County, strongly preferred
- Must be flexible and demonstrate ability to adapt and thrive in fast-paced and challenging environments
- Comfort with facilitating housing search skills including housing location, filling out housing applications, and the lease-up process
- Proficient in Microsoft Programs (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Google Docs equivalents), Zoom, and web-based scheduling software
- Effective time management skills
- Strong advocacy skills
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Ability to meet identified administrative deadlines and program deliverables
Character (Do you embody Door of Hope’s four core values?)
- Christ-centered, expressed through:
- Faith: We have an active and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Calling: Out of a sense of calling, we go above and beyond to meet our mission.
- Character: We demonstrate the character of Christ toward colleagues and families.
- Empowering, expressed through:
- Trust: We trust one another, believe in one another, and give each other the freedom to take risks. (Mistakes are learning opportunities.)
- Accountability: We nurture God-given strengths through coaching and accountability.
- Holistic, expressed through:
- Whole Person: Our emotional, spiritual and personal well-being matter to one another.
- Whole Organization: We are on one team with one mission. (We don’t do silos.)
- Relationship, expressed through:
- Family: We love, celebrate, and pray with one another.
- Reconciliation: We manage conflict, practice vulnerability, and pursue diversity with honesty and grace.
To apply, send your resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please explain 1) your understanding of Door of Hope’s mission and faith-based nature and 2) why you are the perfect fit for this opening.