Communications & Outreach Associate
- 2 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
The Communications and Outreach Associate is a key member of Coalition for Clean Air (CCA) team, engaging in the development and execution of outreach and educational efforts. Duties include facilitating the efforts of key partners in the Inland Empire around transportation electrification, working with educators throughout California to teach air quality, and creating materials to ensure the effective communication of our work with others. Outreach job responsibilities include working with contractors, school administrators, teachers, students, and funders to build the educational capacity of California schools to teach students regarding air quality and the use of air quality sensors.
The position requires an individual comfortable working in a team setting while also being able to work independently and take initiative. This is a hybrid remote and in-person position based out of our office in downtown Los Angeles with some travel to the Inland Empire and reports to the Development and Engagement Director. The ideal candidate should be able to work 24 to 32 hours a week, including occasional weekends and evenings as needed. This position requires substantial discretion in determining how to meet assigned goals and competing deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitation and Outreach
- Organize meetings with key stakeholders to gather input into transportation electrification in the Inland Empire
- Build relationships with key stakeholders in support of CCA’s mission
- Coordinate education program activities with teachers, students, scientists, and policymakers.
- Coordinate and participate in educational forums and meetings with elected and appointed officials
- Collaborate, lead, and build coalitions with other public interest advocates, businesses, labor unions, and others
- Inform and involve community groups in clean air advocacy and education
- Create social media graphics
- Ensure CCA has a regular presence on social media and continues to grow an active and engaged presence on multiple platforms
- Assist with database management to ensure CCA is able to send targeted emails to specific stakeholders
- Write and edit content for email blasts
- Analyze complex policy issues related to air quality and climate change and write fact sheets, blogs, comment letters, and other clear and concise documents about those issues
- Communicate with media
- Work with development staff to help with fundraising to support CCA programs
- Support the Policy Director and Air Quality Monitoring Program Manager in a variety of advocacy, organizing, and communications tasks
- Qualified individuals should be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- At least 2 years of work or related experience in policy analysis or development, communications, or outreach activities, preferably on air quality or other environmental issues
- Experience working with middle school and high school administrators, teachers, and students preferred
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in Environmental Studies, Communications, Public Policy, or related discipline (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience)
- Ability to think strategically and act diplomatically while working well with others
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities with an attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally
- High level of computer literacy with advanced knowledge of information technology systems
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Passionate about air quality, climate protection, and environmental justice
- 70-85% of time sitting; 5-15% of time standing; and 5-15% of time walking
- Less than 5% of time lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling up to 50 pounds
- Less than 10% of time kneeling, balancing, reaching, crawling, crouching, or climbing
- More than 65% of time using eye, hand, and finger coordination and more than 40% of time using a computer (keyboarding) and telephone equipment
- Some travel required
Compensation: This is a part-time non-exempt position (average of 24 to 32 hours per week, usually Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.). CCA has established the pay range for this position as $23 to $28 per hour depending upon qualifications and experience. Benefits include pro-rated medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, as well as up to a 3% match for retirement savings. All Los Angeles office staff are eligible for reimbursement of the cost of using public transit to commute to and from work.
Additional Information: The responsibilities listed here are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include nonessential or marginal duties that may be required. CCA reserves the right to modify or change the duties and essential functions of this job at any time. Nothing in this job announcement should be considered as an offer or guarantee of employment.
About Coalition for Clean Air
Established in 1971, the nonprofit Coalition for Clean Air (CCA) is California’s only statewide organization exclusively advocating for healthy air. CCA is known for spearheading innovative air quality policies, such as the Smog Check program, ban on toxic dry cleaning chemicals, and incentive funding for alternative fuels. CCA has offices in Sacramento and Los Angeles. CCA protects public health, improves air quality, and prevents climate change through policy advocacy, outreach, and educational activities.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume in .pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Communications and Outreach Associate Position. Coalition for Clean Air is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color are encouraged to apply. Position will remain open until filled.