Senior Development Analyst
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
The City of Santa Monica is seeking an energetic and passionate team member to support the City’s development projects and programs that preserve and produce affordable housing. This position, located in the Community Services Department’s Housing and Human Services Division, is a multi-faceted opportunity for the right candidate looking to lead a variety of high-profile projects through thoughtful policy and program analysis and implementation, cross-departmental collaboration, and meaningful community engagement with stakeholders.
This position is ideal for someone with interest and experience in affordable housing development, programs, and policy. The Senior Development Analyst will have the opportunity to work with external development partners, public officials, community groups and program consumers to advance the City’s goals towards creating more affordable housing as a key element to maintaining economic diversity and affordability in the City of Santa Monica.
The Senior Development Analyst is expected to contribute to a diverse range of projects for the Division, as well as leading specific projects, including (but not limited to):
- Organize and implement projects and programs intended to preserve and increase affordable housing opportunities and enhance the economic vitality of the City;
- Prepare requests for qualifications (RFQ’s) and requests for proposals (RFP’s). Negotiate, draft and monitor compliance with loan agreements, lease agreements, professional services agreements, and development agreements;
- Coordinate, analyze and monitor affordable housing projects to ensure compliance with City goals and objectives;
- Monitor and evaluate trends in affordable housing;
- Prepare a wide variety of financial, technical, and operational reports.
The position serves as project manager for affordable housing developments and programs. The position requires strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills with experience in negotiating and coordinating a variety of financial and real property transactions. Activities include financial underwriting for feasibility assessments, due diligence research and analysis, preparation of budgets and financing plans, special needs housing, and an ability to obtain and analyze data for program and policy development. Candidates must demonstrate strong skills in project and program development, implementation, and evaluation with the ability to prepare reports and make recommendation to a variety of audiences.
(Duties may vary depending on assignment.)
- Serves as project manager for a variety of complex affordable housing and economic development projects and programs. Manages activities within assigned projects and programs, including performs feasibility assessments, prepares budgets and financing plans, selects designers, consultants and developers, and monitors and coordinates design and construction.
- Develops policies and procedures for affordable housing and economic development programs
- Collaborates with property owners, merchants and developers to plan, organize and implement projects and programs intended to preserve and increase affordable housing opportunities and to enhance the economic vitality of the City.
- Prepares requests for qualifications (RFQ's) and requests for proposals (RFP's). Negotiates, drafts and monitors compliance with loan agreements, lease agreements, license agreements, professional service agreements, disposition agreements and development agreements.
- Coordinates, analyzes and monitors projects, including affordable housing and public capital improvement projects, to ensure compliance with goals, objectives and requirements of the City.
- Analyzes the economic feasibility of proposed real property transactions and makes recommendations. Assesses, evaluates and negotiates real property transactions.
- Develops financing plans to implement proposed projects and programs, including bond and grant financing. Develops, coordinates and monitors project and program budgets. Assists in the preparation of capital and operating budgets.
- Reviews, monitors and evaluates trends in affordable housing, economic activity and assessed property valuations. Participates in the development of tax revenue projections, including property tax increments.
- Prepares and presents reports, recommendations and information to community and business groups, City Council, boards and commissions, and public and private agencies
- Attends a variety of meetings and represents the City on various task forces, committees and community organizations.
- Leads interdepartmental task forces related to affordable housing, economic development and real estate issues.
- Prepares a wide variety of financial, technical and operational reports.
- Leads and coordinates the work activities of staff, as assigned.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Principles and practices of public administration.
- Principles and practices of affordable housing, economic development, urban planning or real property services.
- Principles and techniques of project management.
- Techniques and practices of financial and management analysis.
- Methods and techniques of contract negotiations.
- Federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding affordable housing and economic development.
- Budget development and management.
- Project and program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Effective customer service techniques.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and manage projects and programs.
- Negotiate and coordinate a variety of financial and real property transactions.
- Gather and analyze data, prepare reports and make recommendations.
- Interpret and apply relevant laws and regulations.
- Monitor and evaluate the work of consultants.
- Make public presentations and communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Lead and coordinate the work of staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals, agencies and business and community organizations.
- Project management.
- Contract negotiation.
- Using a personal computer and applicable software applications.
Education, Training and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Public or Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Real Estate, Urban Planning or a closely related field.
Four years of recent, paid, professional work experience in performing research, financial analysis, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of projects or programs in affordable housing, economic development, redevelopment, urban planning, real estate or a closely related field.
Diversity and Inclusion
An on-line City application and required supplemental questions must be completed for this position. All applicants will be reviewed and only those candidates determined to be most qualified for the position on the basis of experience, training and education, as submitted will be invited to participate further in the selection process. Resumes, CVs and cover letters are not reviewed as part of the application screening process.
Testing may consist of the following:
Written Exercise (Qualifying - Pass/Fail)
Oral Presentation and Oral Interview: 100%
NOTE: If three or more qualified City employees apply and pass the examination, a promotional list will be established in addition to an open-competitive list. If fewer than three qualified City employees pass the examination, the appointing authority, in accordance with the City's civil service rules and regulations, can decline to use a promotional list, in which case a promotional list will not be established for this position.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: Candidates who have successfully completed all prior phases of the selection process will be subject to a thorough background investigation.
The City of Santa Monica is a progressive, inclusive and culturally-rich community. As leaders in public service, we strive to be an employer of choice by attracting and retaining a highly-talented workforce where people of diverse races, religions, cultures and lifestyles thrive. Our goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where our staff are empowered to perform at their highest level and where their differences make a positive impact.
The City is an equal opportunity employer and strives to build balanced teams for all walks of life without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates and embraces the diversity of our employees. Join us!
Special assistance with the application and examination process is available, upon request, for persons with disabilities. Call (310) 458-8246, TDD (310) 458-8696 (Hearing Impaired Only).
COVID 19 VACCINATION:
Proof of COVID 19 vaccination will be required as a condition of employment. unless a religious or medical/disability exemption is granted by the City.
Apply for this position here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/santamonica/jobs/3457366/senior-development-analyst?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs