Policy and Performance Analyst
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
The City of Santa Monica is seeking an energetic and passionate team member to support the City’s goals towards creating and preserving affordable housing opportunities to maintain economic diversity and affordability throughout its multifamily neighborhoods. This position, located in the Community Services Department’s Housing and Human Services Division, is a multi-faceted opportunity for the right candidate looking to lead a variety of high-profile projects through thoughtful policy and program analysis and implementation, cross-departmental collaboration, and meaningful community engagement with stakeholders.
This position is ideal for someone with interest and experience in affordable housing program implementation, federal and local level policy analysis, and systems change. The Policy and Performance Analyst will have the opportunity to work with program participants, public officials, and community partners and members to support the City’s affordable housing initiatives.
The Policy and Performance Analyst is expected to contribute to a diverse range of projects for the division, as well as lead specific projects, including (but not limited to):
- Researching and evaluating various municipal affordable housing policies and programs to establish benchmarks, best practices, and recommendations for City implementation;
- Coordinating, analyzing, and monitoring affordable housing programs to ensure compliance with Federal, County, and City regulations, goals, and objectives;
- Establishing methodologies and metrics for measuring outcomes and success for the City’s portfolio of affordable housing efforts;
- Implementation of federal and local level affordable housing initiatives;
- Developing processes and procedures for improved program administration and coordination between all stakeholders;
- Preparing a wide variety of technical operational, and financial reports.
The position serves as a hybrid policy analyst and program coordinator for the City’s affordable housing and human services initiatives. The position requires strong analytical, organizational, and communication (written and verbal) skills with experience in managing external facing projects with multiple levels of nuances and complexities. Additional activities include education, training, and outreach for program participants, refinement of program operations, eligibility determination, and software implementation. Candidates must demonstrate competencies in project management and program development, implementation, and evaluation with the ability to “tell a story with data” and produce recommendations for a range of audiences.
Note: Duties may vary dependent upon assignment.
- Coordinates program analysis and policy-development for department or division operations. Consults with internal and external experts and stakeholders in the development and implementation of programs and policy development projects.
- Interprets, evaluates and applies policies, procedures and regulations. May revise, modify or develop policies and procedures to improve efficiencies or respond to community needs. Keeps abreast of charges in relevant regulations and laws in area of responsibility.
- Researches and evaluates operational programs and initiatives for a department or division; conducts detailed statistical studies and completes reports as necessary. Makes recommendations regarding program, project and policy efficiencies and financially viable courses of action supporting the fiscal goals of a City department or division.
- Conducts quantitative and qualitative analyses, establishes metrics and prepares reports with recommendations for courses of action to improve service-level delivery.
- Facilitates studies and efficiency evaluations related to the operation and delivery of City services within a department or division. Evaluates interdepartmental programs and processes that would improve service-level delivery and information available to the public.
- Evaluates operating costs for efficiencies related to programs in an operating department.
- Provides analytical data for the development of both outward-facing and internal written, web, and social-media-based materials.
- Prepares recommendations for managers and department directors. Prepares written reports and delivers oral presentations to boards, commissions, City Council, and City leadership.
- Trains, supervises, assigns and evaluates the work of clerical support, as assigned.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Principles and practices of public administration.
- Quantitative and management analysis techniques.
- Research techniques.
- Report writing.
- Principles of program planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation.
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Budget preparation and administration.
- Basic principles of staff supervision and training.
- Effective leadership, management, and coordination techniques.
- Effective customer service techniques.
- Supervise and train staff.
- Analyze and solve administrative problems.
- Research and interpret complex technical information.
- Read and comprehend financial information.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Act as a resource for departmental concerns.
- Keep abreast of current developments in area(s) of specialty.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Prepare and present effective presentations.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with City employees, various businesses and agencies, and the general public.
- Provide effective customer service.
- Using a personal computer and applicable software applications.
- Effective written and verbal communications.
- Working effectively with persons from diverse social, cultural and economic backgrounds.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree in public administration, business administration, public policy, urban planning, or a closely related field.
- Two years of recent, paid work experience in the public sector performing analytical research, statistical or financial analysis and preparing reports related to research findings.
- Successful completion of one year as a full-time, paid participant in a city, county or federal sponsored management fellowship program that included performing research, analysis, report writing, and administrative duties in multiple departments, divisions or units of the sponsoring agency may substitute for the two years of required experience.
- Experience with performance-based budgeting, internal and external stakeholder engagement, establishment of service-level delivery metrics, coordination of policy-development projects, and preparation of written reports for oral presentations to elected bodies is desirable.
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of a valid Class C driver license or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
Diversity and Inclusion
An on-line City application and required supplemental questions must be completed for this position. All applicants will be reviewed and only those candidates determined to be most qualified for the position on the basis of experience, training and education, as submitted will be invited to participate further in the selection process. Resumes, CVs and cover letters are not reviewed as part of the application screening process.
Testing may consist of the following:
- Written Exercise (Qualifying - Pass/Fail)
- Oral Presentation and Oral Interview: 100%
NOTE: If three or more qualified City employees apply and pass the examination, a promotional list will be established in addition to an open-competitive list. If fewer than three qualified City employees pass the examination, the appointing authority, in accordance with the City's civil service rules and regulations, can decline to use a promotional list, in which case a promotional list will not be established for this position.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: Candidates who have successfully completed all prior phases of the selection process will be subject to a thorough background investigation.
The City of Santa Monica is a progressive, inclusive and culturally-rich community. As leaders in public service, we strive to be an employer of choice by attracting and retaining a highly-talented workforce where people of diverse races, religions, cultures and lifestyles thrive. Our goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where our staff are empowered to perform at their highest level and where their differences make a positive impact.
The City is an equal opportunity employer and strives to build balanced teams for all walks of life without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates and embraces the diversity of our employees. Join us!
Special assistance with the application and examination process is available, upon request, for persons with disabilities. Call (310) 458-8246, TDD (310) 458-8696 (Hearing Impaired Only).
COVID 19 VACCINATION:
Proof of COVID 19 vaccination will be required as a condition of employment. unless a religious or medical/disability exemption is granted by the City.
Apply for this position here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/santamonica/jobs/3457203/policy-performance-analyst?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs