English Language Development (ELD) Consultant
- 25 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Young Storytellers sparks creative self-discovery through storytelling. Our programs highlight young people as the center of their own narratives, emphasize that their stories matter, and celebrate their unique voices as the ones telling them. Young Storytellers works towards a future where young people experience the impact that their thoughts, feelings, and words can have on the world in which they live.
Young Storytellers works with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In elementary school, students write scripts that are completely their own; in middle school, students write stories about challenges that they face; and in high school, students explore how various communities are portrayed in the media and craft stories that they feel represent their self-identified communities. Students in each program work with volunteer mentors, and every student gets to see their work performed by professional actors. Young Storytellers programs are designed around Common Core standards, integrate Social and Emotional Learning activities, and include components of Learning for Justice’s Social Justice Standards.
What Is This Position?
Young Storytellers is in the process of making our curriculum as accessible as possible to students within our programs. We’re looking for an experienced English Language Development (ELD) teacher to support our curriculum and program team on an as-needed basis. This ELD consultant will review Young Storytellers curriculum with an eye toward accessibility for students in grades 3-12 who are English language learners. The ELD consultant will also support our team as we align our curriculum to ELA Common Core Standards and CASEL competency areas. This consultant will help further our equity, inclusion, and accessibility goals and have very real impacts on students in our programs and the mentors that support them.
Cool, But Let’s Get Specific. What’s Involved in This Job?
- Review prepared Young Storytellers curriculum materials for students in elementary through high school programs, looking specifically for opportunities to support English language learners;
- Collaborates with staff curriculum team members to make suggestions and edits to YS curriculum materials;
- Aligns all curriculum edits to ELA Common Core Standards and CASEL core competency areas;
- Collaborates with staff members to prepare training materials for volunteer mentors and leaders in YS English language development classes;
- Implements YS’s DEIB and antiracism practices in all parts of curriculum and program materials.
What Are The Skills & Experiences Needed For This Position?
- Certification or coursework in English language development;
- Previous experience working with elementary, middle, and/or high school students who are English language learners;
- A desire for accessibility within arts education and specifically for young people who are English Language Learners.
- Adaptable and clear communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Familiarity and/or previous experience with ELD 3rd-10th grade;
- Spanish language skills, both written and verbal.
What is My Compensation for This Position?
The ELD Consultant is a part-time contracted position with compensation of $30/hour. The ELD Consultant will set their schedule collaboratively with the YS curriculum team and will work on an as-needed basis. In the immediate future, we expect that the ELD Consultant will work approximately 10 hours total over the first two to four weeks. The ELD Consultant is able to work remotely.
What’s Your Covid-19 Vaccination Policy?
In alignment with our organizational values and Worldview, Young Storytellers has a Covid-19 vaccination mandate in place for all staff, interns, Board members, volunteers for in-person programs and events, and office visitors. We define “fully vaccinated” as all required shots plus a booster shot by a FDA-approved vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) or a comparable approved vaccine (i.e. AstraZeneca). Proof of vaccination must be submitted to Young Storytellers before interviewing with the organization. Legitimate health or religious exemptions will be considered, but the health and safety of the whole YS community will be equally considered.
Anything Else I Should Know?
Young Storytellers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Belonging is a core value of the Young Storytellers culture, and our daily practices around equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-bias, antidiscrimination, and antiracism are central to that value. Young Storytellers firmly believes that Black Lives Matter. We encourage women and gender diverse people, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, veterans, immigrants, and anyone with a disability to apply for this and all our positions. Young Storytellers has designed our interview, onboarding, and ongoing cultural practices to be a welcoming space for everyone. You can read more about our worldview on our website.
For any questions or accommodations while applying due to a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 323.962.4500.
To apply, please visit https://bit.ly/yseldconsultant to fill out an application, which includes:
- Resume / CV in PDF form;
- A paragraph statement that includes why you are interested in working with Young Storytellers through this position and highlighting your relevant skills.