Aquarium Programs and Operations Director
- 12 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Position Title: Aquarium Programs and Operations Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Role Summary: The Aquarium Programs and Operations Director is responsible for overseeing program development and implementation, aquarium interpretive strategies, and managing animal care and husbandry.
Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours/week, some weekends and evenings required
Duties and responsibilities
1. Program Strategy and Management
- Work with Executive Director to proactively develop and create strategic programs on behalf of the organization to advance its mission.
- Ensure upmost quality of education and volunteer programs as well as other program initiatives.
- Lead guest relations initiatives to provide high level services to the public.
- Develop and implement a program staffing and resource strategy consistent with the organization’s budget. Organize calendar and staff schedules.
- Manage, organize, lead, and assist in community fundraising events, such as Earth Day, World Oceans Day, Coastal Cleanup Day, etc.
2. Animal Care and Husbandry
- Work with Aquarium Facilities Director to monitor function of LSS, report problems and assist with repairs and troubleshooting
- Manage, monitor and track LSS supplies and equipment
- Administer medication and vitamins.
- Oversee reproduction program with a focus on invertebrates (e.g. Moon Jellies)
- Plan animal acquisition in coordination with Aquarist Director and other Staff
- In collaboration with the Aquarium Facilities Director, create detailed task logs for each tank, including feeding, cleaning, and water change schedules.
- Create and maintain an inventory of animals
- Create, submit, and maintain the SCP and other collecting documents such as mandatory wildlife reports and daily collection notices
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws on animal care and collection
- Prepare and update a maintenance manual
3. General Responsibilities
- Organize and create staff schedule for all programs and events.
- Supervise and delegate to support staff. Set schedules, goals and objectives and conduct performance reviews, with oversite from the Executive Director.
- Ensure effective communication among all support staff
- Collaborate with Staff on exhibits, interpretive displays and décor.
4. Perform other duties as required and assigned.
The qualified candidate must have the following background, skills and competencies:
- Bachelor’s or Master of Science Degree in Biology, Marine Science,
- Environmental Science or a related field
- 3-5 years of related experience
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Curriculum and program development
- Extensive internet research abilities, and experience with data management
- Willingness to communicate with new contacts in-person and over the phone
- High level of self-motivation and ability to multitask
- Proven ability to learn new software
- High energy and detail-oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Passion for community-based work
- Eagerness to help the team and polite, professional office behavior
- This job is located on-site at the RoundHouse Aquarium in Manhattan Beach, CA.
- We will reply only to those individuals selected for further consideration.
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Apply for this position here: https://roundhouseaquarium.org/staff/