Professional Learning Specialist
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Position: Professional Learning Specialist
Location: Greater Los Angeles
PowerMyLearning is a nonprofit that advances educational equity and accelerates student success. Our programs promote culturally relevant teaching practices, foster social-emotional learning, and accelerate learning. We offer school- and district-level packages that include professional development for teachers and capacity-building workshops for families. We also offer an award-winning education technology innovation, Family Playlists®. What sets us apart from other organizations is our focus on activating the power of collaboration between students, teachers, and families. Now more than ever, our collective efforts to accelerate learning must address the needs of the whole child and include families so we can reverse the systematic denial of educational opportunity based on race, class, language, and learning differences.
The Professional Learning Specialist (PLS) is a member of PowerMyLearning’s regional Professional Learning Team. This role reports to the regional Director of Programs (DOP) and collaborates closely with the national Professional Learning team. The regional Professional Learning Team is responsible for delivering in-person and virtual services to schools and districts within the Greater Los Angeles region.
The PLS will manage partnerships and deliver professional learning and program training services to schools. This work will include facilitation of professional development workshops and professional learning communities, one-on-one and small group coaching on instructional best practices identified in the PowerMyLearning Framework for Teachers, and Family Playlists product trainings. The PLS will support additional professional learning team efforts as outlined below.
- Lead program implementation for a caseload of partnerships in their region, including both in-person and remote support as determined in collaboration with the schools and districts
- Manage relationships with school and district-based project managers and school leaders, including providing regular progress updates as determined for each partnership
- Collaborate with administrators and teachers at partner schools to develop goals to increase student achievement related to the programming sold to their schools
- Deliver high-quality professional development services grounded in the PowerMyLearning Framework for Teachers (including coaching and workshops) to schools and districts in their region
- Provide on-site guided support to teachers (demonstration teaching, classroom observation, feedback discussions, etc.) as they explore different ways they can strengthen learning relationships with students and families to support student success
- Work with teachers to set professional goals aligned to PowerMyLearning’s Framework for Teachers and collect data and evidence of progress towards those goals
- Deliver high-quality Family Playlist product training and leverage Family Playlists® resources with teachers to drive meaningful family engagement in the learning process including helping teachers create and customize Family Playlist assignments
- Ensure proper tracking and documentation of all partnerships, including of lessons learned to inform program improvement and evidence of progress toward student achievement and improved teacher instruction
- Support development and sales teams through site visits, presentations, meeting attendance and data gathering
- Communicate experiences and feedback from the field to inform program and partnership development
- Contribute to the development of program materials to be used organization-wide
- Under the guidance of the Professional Learning team leadership and along with other members of the Professional Learning team, contribute to the creation of new resources, pilot new materials, and refine Framework-aligned professional development resources for teachers
- Assume ownership of project deliverables
- Provide feedback on work products and incorporate feedback into your own work products
- Contribute to internal training and professional learning initiatives by facilitating team learning calls and turnkeying professional learning experiences to the Professional Learning team
- Provide input and feedback on product and content development for PowerMyLearning Connect features
- As requested, help to define and clarify teacher user stories to provide direction to PowerMyLearning Connect product design and content teams and review early designs and playlists to provide feedback
- Passion for PowerMyLearning’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field
3+ years of K-12 teaching experience
- Experience working with youth and low-income communities
- Experience with leveraging technology to support instruction
- Experience with Culturally Responsive Teaching principles and practices
- Experience with Social Emotional Learning principles and practices
- Demonstrated experience leading presentations and/or training sessions
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a complex schedule
- Capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility when priorities change
- Experience managing school partnerships
- Experience working with an English Language Learner population
- Experience coaching/mentoring teachers
- Experience writing or developing lesson plans and curriculum
- Experience overseeing or leading professional development
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range of $75,000-81,090 commensurate with experience. PowerMyLearning also offers medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employee contribution.
OUR VALUES AND HIRING PHILOSOPHY
PowerMyLearning strives to embody our core values: Strengthen Relationships, Embrace Learning, Advance Equity, and Embody Humility.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization in which we give voice to, and meet the needs of, the teachers, families, and students we serve. PowerMyLearning encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, especially people of color and members of other historically marginalized groups.
PowerMyLearning is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
We encourage applications from people with unusual career paths and diverse experiences. Even if you haven’t had a similar role before, we welcome you to apply!
Qualified candidates can apply by visiting https://powermylearning.applicantpro.com/jobs/. You will need to submit a resume and cover letter.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.