Computer Science Education Fellow
- 20 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
9 Dots is a Los Angeles based community of educators, researchers, and engineers aiming to provide K-6 students from Title I elementary schools with the opportunity to engage in a transformative Computer Science (CS) education. We are especially committed to creating empowering CS experiences for our female, Latinx, Black, and low-income students. We create learning environments that engage every student, foster joy and promote fearlessness in problem solving. And we build sustainably by providing teachers with the support and tools they need to lead exceptional Computer Science learning experiences.
As a Computer Science Education Fellow, you would be a key player in our direct service offering. You would have the opportunity to:
1. Teach Computer Science to elementary school students in LA county
2. Support public school teachers as they build their own capacity to teach Computer Science.
This is a 2 year full-time with full benefits and optional extension year(s). This entry level opportunity is best suited for outstanding recent graduates and/or new professionals - of all academic majors and career backgrounds - who commit to supporting CS education in Los Angeles-area public schools. We provide all of the professional development and training you will need to teach Computer Science and support other teachers along the way. You will learn CS fundamentals and advanced instructional techniques in order to support site teachers at our partner schools.
On-site Teacher Support Responsibilities
- Uphold 9 Dots mission and values
- Deliver whole class instruction, small group instruction, or 1:1 interventions for learners at all levels
- Support public school site teachers & build their capacity to eventually take the lead in teaching Computer Science
- Develop and maintain relationships with partner school administration and public school site teachers
- Implement feedback from team leads to improve lesson plans and/or instruction
- Review weekly lessons and prepare all materials for school distribution
- Serve as point person for site teachers at partner schools
- Support students of all backgrounds in the classrooms
Professional Development and Computer Science Fundamentals Learning
- Receive formal instructional coaching from 9 Dots program leads through classroom observations and professional development sessions
- Receive quality training on how to coach, support, and motivate other Computer Science teachers
- Learn to think like a software engineer
- Strong belief in 9 Dots’ mission to make transformative CS education accessible to all students
- Fearless problem solver ready to take on challenges as they arise
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to self-manage and work independently
- A proactive communicator
- Desire to learn new skills and professional competencies
- Has transportation (public or personal) to sites throughout LA County and Compton
- Experience working with students (tutoring accepted)
- Proof of vaccination
- Experience with web-based coding educational tools, such as code.org, Scratch, etc.
- Background in Computer Science, Education, or Cultural Studies
- Conversational Spanish bilingual proficiency
- Has an informed perspective with the student population we serve and/or the teachers we support
Start Date: This fellowship will begin in June 2022.
Location: Los Angeles, CA
- $42,000 annual salary plus any approved overtime commensurate with experience
- Full health care, dental and vision insurance
- Retirement Investment Plans (401k)
- Life and disability insurance
- 12 days PTO* + 13 Holidays
*Note that PTO is limited while school is in session
- $500 Professional Development reimbursement
- Computer Science Coach to support programming professional development
- Instructional Coaching to support your professional development as a teacher
- Experience within a nimble and rapidly-growing organization
- Open and collaborative environment
9 Dots is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Consumer Reporting Agencies Act and Los Angeles’s Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
9 Dots encourages all applicants to apply and seeks to hire qualified staff who reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve. We define diversity in broad terms to include race, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, geography, socio-economic status and other unique attributes that make us who we are.
If you require accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact 9 Dots directly at (323) 524-8328 or email us.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library or local Department of Labor. You can find the library nearest you by accessing the Los Angeles Public Library Locations and Hours.
To apply, please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to the Hiring Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following subject:
Subject: [NAME, LAST] CS Education Fellow Application