- 26 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
The graphic design team, within the Communications department, at MOCA operates as the internal design studio and works with the museums brand and identity, exhibitions, marketing campaigns, membership, public programs, and education initiatives, as well as all other communications across the museum. The Graphic Designer will be responsible for designing a variety of digital and analog communications from concept to completion, including webpages, email campaigns, web-based advertising, design for social media platforms and video titles, as well as some printed materials and environmental graphics. The Graphic Designer will conceptualize design solutions that prioritize user experience, clear visual communication, contemporary design aesthetics, and the brand identity of the museum; draws on deep knowledge of typography, composition, design systems and other core principles of design; and follows through to presentation, refinement, production and final delivery.
For online projects, the Graphic Designer will employ knowledge of current developments and trends in digital design to create integrated and dynamic design solutions that advance the museums online practice. The Graphic Designer will work closely with the Art Director and other team members including the video producer, social media manager, and the director of communications, and advise on current best practices in digital design. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the technical aspects of designing dynamic assets, including animated gifs, and a personal interest in exploring opportunities for engagement in digital marketing and communications within a museum environment.
The Graphic Designer reports to the Art Director.
Salary range: $59,000 - $64,000
- Manage and design a variety of digital assets for social media, website, email campaigns, and web-based advertising, including asset sizing and versioning
- Translate marketing strategies and existing design directions into effective and compelling online campaigns and designs
- Design user interfaces for website and work with external developers to ensure proper implementation of the creative vision
- Develop interactive animations and storyboards as assigned by the Art Director
- Respond to design requests that follow established templates and design guidelines such as evites, temporary signs, programs, and video titles
- Provide design support on other offline graphic projects such as logos, identity design, exhibitions, and environmental graphics
- Participate in planning and brainstorming meetings
- Present preliminary design concepts, explorations, and applications for review and approval on jobs such as marketing campaigns, exhibition identities, and MOCA brand products and collateral
- Respond to editing and revisions
- Prepare production ready files for print projects and review color proofs
- Demonstrate a high level of creativity, problem-solving ability, and conceptual development through excellent graphic design and typography
- Understand project goals and design planning
- Research subject matter to better understand the context for design
- Develop design directions in response to projects
- Stay up to date with current best practices in digital design and make ongoing recommendations for improving digital strategies, engagement, and interaction
- Proactive and regular communication with Art Director
- Bachelors degree in graphic design, digital design, graphic communications, or related field
- 3+ years of graphic design experience, experience with front-end web design preferred
- Strong portfolio of design work that shows conceptual thinking
- Knowledge of typography, color, design systems, and web and development principles
- Experience creating animated gifs
- Experience in outputting design assets for digital media and the web
- Experience in preparing print ready files and color proofing
- Organized and methodical with files
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability
- Familiarity with HTML and CMS
- A professional level of experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with Adobe Premiere Pro or After Effects
- Experience designing for Mailchimp
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Workspace
- Must be willing to attend occasional press checks off-site
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate a computer and other office equipment is required. Heavy usage of computers and phones required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
The Museum of Contemporary Art is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the Museum of Contemporary Art's commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Apply to this position here: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=21720&clientkey=2604274347D463CBA03C1808A6E4B1F5