Senior Director of Development
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
ABOUT INNER-CITY ARTS
Inner-City Arts is a multi-disciplinary arts organization located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, serving more than 8,000 children, teens, educators and family members annually during the school day, after school and on weekends. We believe that the arts are transformative and the cornerstone of a high-quality education that levels the learning field across socioeconomic boundaries. Inner-City Arts is a dynamic nonprofit organization that raises from philanthropic sources more than 90% of the revenue needed to support annual programs and operations for a $4+ million annual operating budget. $2M is currently raised through institutional giving with a goal to increase this to $3million in the next year.
Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Director of Development will be charged with overseeing the development department and creating funding strategies for individuals, events, and institutional donors. The Senior Director of Development is responsible for leading and growing major individual gift activities, as well as identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and building relationships with donors and prospects with the capacity to give major and leadership gifts. In close partnership with the CEO, members of the Board, and the development staff, the Senior Director of Development will build a robust pipeline of potential donors through effective research and networking and maintain relationships with all donors through consistent communication.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Development Strategy & Leadership
- Creates and implements short-term and long-term strategies to increase philanthropic support through major gifts, targeted campaigns, individual giving stewardship, corporate and foundation grants, sponsorships, special events, planned giving, and government support.
- Monitors progress toward goals for all annual contributed income and analyzes results.
- Shares regular updates on progress towards goals with senior management, the Board, and campaign leadership.
- Works closely with the CEO, COO, Director of Finance and others on the development and monitoring of the annual budget.
- Serves as a member of Inner-City Arts’ Executive Team, offering insight and input on agency-wide priorities and issues.
- Builds strong working relationships with leaders and staff in other departments.
- Ensures that donor and gift records and contact reports are collected and maintained accurately, and that appropriate research is conducted on donors and prospects.
- Manages and mentor 4 development staff professionals, ensuring clear goals and objectives aligned with position responsibilities.
Individual Giving & Major Gifts
- Serves as the organization’s lead fundraiser, guiding the creation and implementation of a multi-year major gifts plan.
- Oversees activities and works with the Associate Director of Individual Giving and Events to raise smaller and mid-range gifts from individual donors, through direct mail, monthly giving, email campaigns, social media, crowdfunding, peer-to-peer fundraising, the website, events, and other means.
- Ensures that all donors are acknowledged and thanked appropriately, and that robust donor retention and relationship-building activities are executed.
- Develop strategy for reengaging lapsed donors and strengthening donor retention.
- Develops and implements strategies to raise funds and increase organizational visibility through high- quality, well-produced fundraising events, including the Imagine Awards Gala and Summer on Seventh.
- Leads all solicitation efforts related to event sponsorship and ticket-sales, including developing materials and conducting outreach.
- Initiates and develops new fundraising events.
- Recruits and works closely with event chairs, committee members, and honorees and their representatives.
- 5+ years’ experience working in fund development including a history of securing seven-figure major gifts and grant awards.
- Degree in business administration and/or equivalent experience.
- Strategic thinker and experience in building diversified budgets.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills – an effective and compelling storyteller with the ability to passionately communicate the impact of Inner-City Arts’ work.
- Well versed with CRM software; specifically Salesforce and Donor Perfect.
- Skilled in MS Office, Google Suites.
- Fosters an enthusiastic, collaborative, and learning spirit in the department and provides energetic, equitable and transparent leadership for the entire staff.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Networking aptitude.
- Great multitasking skills.
- Attention to details.
- A team player with personal attributes of honesty, integrity, persistence, flexibility, enthusiasm, curiosity, and self-awareness.
- Ability to work under pressure, with grace and diplomacy.
- Ability to travel to multiple locations with reliable transportation.
- Availability for frequent evening and weekend activities.
- A deep understanding of Inner-City Arts’ impact as an arts provider, education advocate and leader in the nonprofit ecosystem.
- Conversational and/or fluency in Spanish, preferred.
- An appreciation for and/or personal interest in the arts, preferred.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Senior Director of Development is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range starting at $105K. Inner City Arts offers a generous benefits package that includes paid sick and vacation time, health and dental insurance, and a 403b retirement plan.
Candidates should be able to work a full-time hybrid schedule with 4 days a week in our office, regular business hours Monday through Friday and occasional nights and weekends as necessary. Inner-City Arts requires its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exemptions as required by law.
Inner-City Arts is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.
Apply for this position here: https://www.envisionnonprofit.com/we-re-recruiting/inner-city-arts---senior-director-of-development/?id=4116780