Senior Analyst, Reporting and Technical Accounting
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Remote within California
Functional Title: Senior Analyst, Reporting & Technical Accounting
CALPERS Title: Senior Specialist
Reports To: Director, Financial Planning & Analysis, Finance
FLSA Status: Exempt
Primary Work Location: 100% Remote within California
Last Updated: 03/03/2022
Flex Work Option: Some
The Senior Analyst, Reporting & Technical Accounting is responsible for providing financial technical accounting support, acting as an internal auditor to the Foundation, working in collaboration with the accounting, advancement, and programs teams. As a critical support to the Director, Financial Planning and Analysis, the Senior Analyst, Reporting & Technical Accounting will assist in compliance and adoption of FASB and GAAP requirements, including revenue recognition, and assists with external reporting activities, leading to continuing financial reporting quality and compliance. This position manages tight deadlines and a multitude of activities including budget proposal preparation, financial reporting and analysis, year-end audit preparation and the support of technical accounting activities. This position provides regular support to other Finance-related functions, such as the month-end close process.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as subject matter expert to the accounting and finance teams for revenue recognition, providing technical training and mentorship on a cross-functional basis to the accounting and finance teams.
- Researches and assesses the impact of new and proposed accounting standards to ensure compliance and adoption of FASB and GAAP requirements.
- Assists in the implementation of new and proposed accounting standards, such as ASC842 Lease Accounting standard.
- Assists in the review of company accounting policies, including development and documentation of updates and other new accounting policies as needed.
- Partners cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to ensure the accurate accounting for complex transactions and leads the implementation of new accounting requirements.
- Assists in the creation and management of financial reports and dashboards in Workday.
- Assists in the preparation, compilation, analysis, and clear and concise communication of information for financial reporting and analysis.
- Works closely with systems accounting team to improve system processes and reporting outputs.
- Works closely with finance management and external auditors to discuss accounting approaches and conclusions.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual GAAP financial statement audit and external financial reports, such as Forms 990, together with related footnotes ensuring quality reporting and compliance with associated regulatory reporting and disclosure requirements.
- Protects the Foundation’s sensitive information by keeping that information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and training for relevant certifications.
- Builds and cultivates relationships internally and externally where appropriate, acts as organizational brand ambassador as needed and provides business development support and input where there is opportunity.
- Cultivates and upholds a culture of Shared Leadership and promotes organizational values.
- Contributes to team effort by completing other projects and tasks as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Level of Supervision
- This position does not supervise.
- Proven ability to manage by influence and ability to build and maintain credibility.
- Receives general direction as to organizational, departmental, and individual goals and the achievement of those goals. Evaluated based on the successful performance of essential job duties and responsibilities and achievement of goals. Subject only to broad communications associated with the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is required.
- Knowledge of an integrated accounting system is required.
- Understanding of revenue recognition rules is required.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving skills, and a strong customer service focus is required
- Knowledge of Workday and Adaptive Planning technology systems is preferred.
- Grant and/or fund accounting experience is preferred.
- Proven analytic capabilities, evidenced through prior development of financial models and frameworks.
- Capability to lead by influence and collaboration; Strong ability to consider and employ multiple perspectives building and maintaining credibility.
- Capacity to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Foundation employees at all levels, program and client staff, and customers, consumers, vendors encountered in the course of work.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints and respond appropriately.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to efficiently manage time.
- Ability to work remotely and navigate various technology platforms (Zoom, MS Office Suite-Teams, Outlook, Salesforce Lightning and other database programs, Google Suite, etc.).
Attributes for Success
- Passionate about providing students with stronger pathways to education and building a more just and equitable California overall.
- A self-starter and quick learner who is highly motivated and outcome-oriented, always seeking innovative approaches to project execution.
- A commitment to continuous improvement and professional development.
- A strategic and creative thinker who can problem-solve, working within and across teams to swiftly respond to needs identified across the California Community Colleges.
- Practices ownership, takes accountability, and has the ability to manage own work, prioritize tasks, and deliver quality products on time with limited supervision.
- Ability to work on a fast-paced team and build and maintain collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, the California Community College system and the Foundation’s mission.
Education and Experience
- Relevant BA/BS, equivalent work experience, or a combination of both.
- Minimum of five (5) + years of progressive experience in accounting or a relevant field.
- Minimum of two (2) + years of experience in an education or non-profit environment preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent is preferred.
- Familiarity with the Community College system a plus.
Working Hours, Location, and Travel
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, with additional hours as needed to address the organization’s needs. This is a California-based position, with the flexibility to work remotely (in California) or in person at our Sacramento office. This position may require moderate travel to attend meetings, conferences, and perform other essential functions of the job.
The following physical requirements are essential to the performance of this position: (1) ability to work at a computer workstation for periods up to 4 hours at a time and for up to 8 hours per day for up to five consecutive days; (2) ability to operate a computer and other office equipment such as a computer printer, webcam, microphone, and telephone; (3) ability to communicate and exchange information accurately. The Foundation may make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job’s essential functions/physical requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Foundation for California Community Colleges is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities (EEO) are available to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, genetic characteristics, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, political affiliation, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, The Foundation for California Community Colleges complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
As the official nonprofit auxiliary to the Chancellor's Office, we aim to ensure our team reflects the diversity of the California Community Colleges and the 2.1 million students, campuses, and communities it serves. Individuals are hired for their deep understanding of each population’s unique needs and will join a collaborative environment where each team member plays an important role in helping Californians across all communities improve their social and economic mobility and build a better future for themselves and their families.
Apply for this position here: https://foundationccc.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/fccc-careers/job/California-Remote/Senior-Analyst--Reporting-and-Technical-Accounting_JR100317