- 21 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
Help discover, secure, and track institutional funding opportunities that will ensure DWC’s financial sustainability and future success! DWC’s Grant Writer will drive the grants solicitation and reporting process for the organization, managing a portfolio of foundation, corporate, and government funders. Working closely with the Director of Foundation and Government Relations and the Chief Development and Communications Officer, you will be responsible for identifying new funding prospects and opportunities, drafting and reviewing proposals and reports, coordinating with programs and finance teams to identify organizational needs, and ensuring timely submission of proposals and reports based on the organization’s annual grants calendar. The grants manager will supervise two grant writers and a grants coordinator. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional communicator (both verbal and written) and posses excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills with a passion for ending homelessness.
• Manage the organization’s grants calendar, delegate work assignments, and ensure the timely submission of 10-15 grant proposals and reports each month.
• Work closely with the Finance, Programs, and Executive teams to coordinate the grants management and reporting process across the organization, ensuring that grant outcomes and expenditures are appropriately tracked, monitored, and reported to the funder as required.
• Work with grant writers to identify foundation, corporate, and government grant opportunities matched to DWC programs and activities, cultivate an in-depth understanding of the criteria and priorities applicable to each granting program, and provide informed recommendations as to appropriate funding leads to pursue.
• Provide strategic leadership and work across departments to develop new grant proposals, including identifying measurable goals and objectives for program development; compiling program outlines, materials, and data to write compelling narrative; and developing grant budgets in partnership with program directors and the finance team.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with funding agencies, program officers, collaborating organizations, and internal departments. Effectively coordinate between all constituents from prospecting through closeout.
• Continuously develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of city, county, state, and federal government funding opportunities and determine which opportunities strategically align with DWC’s organizational priorities and capacity.
• Work with Communication and Development team to engage new and existing foundation and institutional partners and enhance relationships through grants, event sponsorships, volunteer opportunities, tours, and in-kind donations.
• Work with Program Staff to identify programmatic funding needs and ensure competitiveness and efficiency in grant applications. Maintain a deep working knowledge of DWC’s programs and services.
• Work with the Director of Foundation and Government Relations and the Chief Development and Communications Officer to engage the organization’s staff and board in a culture of philanthropy and ensure understanding of the grants process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Detail Oriented & Highly Organized
• Coordination & Facilitation
• Relationship Building
• Writing & Editing
• Understanding of Proposal and Budget Development Process
• Systems & Data Management
• Multitasking & Problem Solving
• Project Management
This position supervises two grant writers and a grants coordinator
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday-Friday from 9am-5:30pm with the ability to work occasional evenings or weekends as needed.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required
• A minimum of four years of previous grant writing, grant making, development, and/or fundraising experience for a nonprofit organization required.
• A minimum of one year of experience managing staff
Required Knowledge/Skills/Position Qualifications
• Knowledge of the foundation, corporate, and government funding landscape for homeless/social service agencies in Los Angeles and beyond
• Rigorous, systematic, and disciplined approach to grant research, coordination, tracking, and reporting
• Exceptional skill in comprehension, analysis, and technical writing, including the ability to articulate and explain complex funding and financial issues in a clear, non-technical manner
• Fundamental understanding of the grants process, including prospect research, cultivation, proposal and budget development, and reporting.
• Ability to effectively delegate tasks and manage deadlines
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Demonstrated success as a team player, including the ability to develop and maintain a goal-oriented, positive attitude throughout the organization
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to comfortably interface with Board Members, Leadership, donors, and general DWC community
• Self-starter capable of working independently
• Previous experience preparing and/or managing government grants
• Compassion and understanding of DWC’s unique approach to service provision
• Cultural humility
• Must be a CA resident and live at least 75 miles from the office and must be available for in-person meetings at the DWC offices.
• Must provide documentation of a negative PCR COVID-19 test result from the last seven days, on first day of hire.
• Must provide documentation of a negative TB test result within the last twelve months, on first day of hire.
• You will be required to be up to date on your COVID-19 vaccinations. If you are fully vaccinated and not yet eligible to receive a booster dose, then you must receive the booster does within 30 days of becoming eligible. If you are fully vaccinated and have received a booster dose, you are considered up to date with your vaccinations.
• You will be required to receive the booster within 30 days of becoming eligible (5 months after the second dose for Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, or two months after the J&J/Janssen vaccine).
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Background check clearance
Downtown Women’s Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, genetic information, national origin and ancestry, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, pregnancy, military and veteran status or medical condition. In addition to federal law requirements, Downtown Women’s Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Apply for this position here: https://downtownwomenscenter.org/career-opportunities/