Data Analyst, Technical Assistance
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
The California College Guidance Initiative (CCGI) is a statewide effort to help all systems - K-12 districts, California Community Colleges, California State University, University of California, and the California Student Aid Commission - work together to create seamless transitions and pipelines for students.
Through CaliforniaColleges.edu, the State of California’s official college and career planning platform, we offer a unique suite of college, career and financial aid planning information, curricula, and tools. From exploring potential career paths to launching and tracking college and financial aid applications, CaliforniaColleges.edu helps students discover their college and career goals, make plans for how to achieve them, and launch into careers consistent with their values, skills, and interests.
Students’ accounts on CaliforniaColleges.edu are populated with their high school transcript data, which is shared with higher education and financial aid providers at the point of application. To ensure that data is as accurate as possible, CCGI staff work hand-in-hand with our K-12 partners to clarify data standards, identify data conflicts, and implement routines that improve data quality so that the data reflected in their accounts can be used by the institutions that receive it, to inform decisions about admissions, course placement, guidance and financial aid. By providing ongoing support, training, and professional development opportunities, we help ensure that educators can integrate these planning and application tools into guidance interventions and instructional time.
CCGI currently serves one out of five California students and is slated for statewide scaling in the coming years.
CCGI is housed at the Foundation for California Community Colleges. Please note that all CCGI jobs are fully and permanently remote. All candidates must live in California.
The California College Guidance Initiative is looking for an analyst to join the team that supports Local Education Agencies (LEAs) as they implement transcript-informed functionality on CaliforniaColleges.edu.
The Data Analyst, Technical Assistance, will oversee the receipt, processing and troubleshooting of transcript-related cases, including:
Recurring receipt of transcript files from various LEAs in California Troubleshoot discrepancies found by educators Support LEA staff to resolve the file issues
The ideal candidate for this position has experience working in college/K-12 admissions and student records management. The candidate should have an interest in large educational systems and the equity challenges that students face when navigating such systems as well as a strong desire to manage others.
The Data Analyst, Technical Assistance is responsible for working closely with LEA experts to ensure transcript data is provided in a timely manner and is accurate. For new LEAs coming on board, this typically involves supporting LEAs to create the transcript files or to advise on issues when creating the transcript files. This position does not write production code. However, a level of comfort with the software tools and languages in use at CCGI (Jira, Excel, Salesforce) is recommended.
We work to solve large scale, system-level problems. You must be comfortable working with unknowns and ambiguous solutions, as well as passionate about promoting public education and advancing educational equity.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Regularly process and review logs for transcript files in AWS and CaliforniaColleges.edu environments
- Develop documentation that considers the technical and end user needs to create the transcript files.
- Ensure progress on cases in accordance with case management specifications.
- Support quality assurance testing on transcript files, such as designing test case scenarios.
- Support investigation and resolution of transcript file issues.
- Develop and maintain documentation that supports the processing of transcript files.
- Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
What Technical Skills Do You Need?
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Computer Science/Database Management related major or equivalent professional experience.
- At least two years of cumulative professional experience.
- At least one year experience with K-12 and higher education data sets.
- High level of comfort working with large data sets using text editors and SQL to query Transcript files.
- Demonstrated ability to develop technical documentation.
What Leadership Skills Do You Need?
- Desire to collaborate with others by providing and receiving direct feedback, being vulnerable, and leading with professionalism and kindness.
- Strong professional judgement.
- Ability to maintain a collaborative spirit.
- A commitment to the ongoing process of recalling and identifying what you’ve learned from each project, then explaining what you’ve learned to others, and finally making connections that allow you to implement change for your next project.
What Intangibles Do You Need?
- Advance projects without detailed supervision, balancing multiple responsibilities, and providing colleagues with actionable proposals for advancing collective efforts.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Juggle multiple ongoing projects with K-12 LEA’s with ease and grace.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal communication skills; ability to communicate technical details to non-technical audiences.
- Strong organizational, project, and time management skills.
More about the Technical Assistance Team
The team is composed of individuals, working remotely across California, that support LEA’s in the state of California to ensure timely and accurate transcript data is processed in CaliforniaColleges.edu.
The team does NOT include data scientists, developers or programmers. We work closely with the Director of Integrations and the Director of Infrastructure and Analytics to resolve bugs or anomalies when processing transcript files. In addition we work within a team that focuses on providing technical assistance to all LEA’s using transcript-informed functionality on CaliforniaColleges.edu with respect to resolving Course Management Portal (CMP) discrepancies and improving transcript transcription processes.
We are keen for you to bring experience that you can impart to the rest of us, but you also have to be interested to improve in many other skills and low ego enough to always take initiative to learn more. This role reports to the Director of Data Services.
More about CCGI
CCGI is a positive, diverse, and supportive culture. At our core, we prioritize the needs of students above all else.
Everyone at CCGI works remotely. We are all located in various parts of California. We rarely meet in person. Instead, we make use of tools, such as ZOOM, Slack, and Salesforce, to communicate and document our work.
CCGI is housed at the Foundation for California Community Colleges but is an autonomous initiative with its own mission, goals, and leadership team.
The Foundation for California Community Colleges is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities (EEO) are available to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, genetic characteristics, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, political affiliation, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, the Foundation for California Community Colleges complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment
Apply to this position here: https://foundationccc.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/fccc-careers/job/California-Remote/Data-Analyst--Technical-Assistance--California-College-Guidance-Initiative_JR100289-1