- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
About this organization
Bold Vision is a multi-sector, multi-year initiative that aims to fundamentally improve the lives of a generation of L.A. County’s Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) youth. Bold Vision began in 2019, when a steering committee of foundation leaders came together to support the formation of an initiative that would forge a new pathway toward success for young people across LA County. The initiative started with an extensive community engagement and policy development process facilitated by Advancement Project California (APCA). Throughout this process, the work was guided by a Community Council comprised of 13 BIPOC-led youth serving community-based organizations from across the county. The community engagement and policy development process resulted in a report that provides an overarching Bold Vision framework that will serve as an equity roadmap for advocates and systems leaders to implement over the next 10+ years. The framework lays out a set of policy and indicator recommendations for realizing a central goal: changing conditions so that L.A. County’s BIPOC youth can thrive.
With the Bold Vision report and framework completed, the initiative now turns its focus towards implementation which the founding Executive Director will help lead.
About this job
To lead this important work, Bold Vision is seeking a passionate inaugural Executive Director. The Executive Director will be a visionary, dynamic leader who can facilitate the collective success of this regional effort, serve as a public ambassador for the initiative, and oversee the coordination and support needed to implement the Bold Vision framework with the support of consultants and future staff. More specifically, the Executive Director will oversee and coordinate Bold Vision’s internal and external operations, including, but not limited to, strategy, communications, community engagement and data functions. The Executive Director will report to and is accountable to the Equity Council which will be a subset of Community Council representatives, Youth Council members, and other key stakeholders such as funders and government representatives.
In the first 12-18 months, the Executive Director will prioritize the following:
- Research and make recommendations regarding the feasibility of obtaining 501(c)(3) status for Bold Vision or establishing Bold Vision as a fiscally sponsored program
- Build and strengthen relationships with key Bold Vision stakeholders, including, but not limited to, Bold Vision Community Council members and Bold Vision funders
- Support the design and establishment of the Youth Council & Equity Council
- Convene and facilitate the Equity Council which will be responsible for setting the strategic direction, goals, and priorities for Bold Vision every 2 years
- Manage consultants such as Youth Council facilitator, Community Council facilitator, grantmaking intermediary, data management, and communications consultants
- Support internal and external initiative communications
- Identify infrastructure capacity gaps and create hiring plans for dedicated staff to address these gaps
- Identify potential funding sources and solicit and draft funding proposals
SALARY & BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $145,000-$170,000 depending on experience. Includes full health, dental and retirement benefits.
Roles & responsibilities
Convening & Stakeholder Engagement
- Support Equity Council in development of bi-annual agendas and the development of systems change campaigns
- Convene Equity Council, including development of materials and facilitation of meetings
- Build and maintain relationships with community partners and stakeholders to identify opportunities for cross-collaboration and ensure alignment to Bold Vision framework
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with other coalitions that are working to advance racial equity by staying abreast of local landscape and work integration alignment
Organizational Leadership & Team Management
- Hire, develop, and mentor future Bold Vision staff
- Select, contract with, and oversee work of consultants as appropriate (e.g., communications consultant, grant writing consultant, etc.)
- Provide support to Youth Council and Community Council consultants to facilitate meetings, assisting in preparation of meeting materials, etc.
- Support data management consultant in development of measurement system to track Bold Vision indicators and use results to inform strategic direction
- Maintain understanding of implementation challenges and developing comprehensive solutions to address them
- Support communications consultant or future staff with Bold Vision communications efforts including development of materials, web, social media and press strategies
- Establish, facilitate, and execute effective systems and processes for open communication
Fundraising and Budget Development
- Lead development efforts including identifying funding opportunities, writing funding proposals, overseeing grant reporting, developing relationships with potential funders
- Develop and maintain budgets
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills
- At least 5-7 years of relevant work experience in nonprofits, community organizing or collective impact processes with 2-3 years of progressive senior leadership
- Strong passion and demonstrated commitment to racial justice and solidarity
- Belief in Bold Vision’s mission, values, and community-driven approach, centering youth voices and power, and prioritizing needs and strengths of BIPOC communities
- Experience in building, sustaining and managing coalitions with demonstrated ability to facilitate collective visioning, compromise, and conflict resolution
- Strong background in community organizing with a demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and coordinate issue campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to understand a complex policy landscape and build relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Advanced strategy and planning skills, including an ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels over multi-year horizon
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, including strong facilitation and presentation skills before multiple types of audiences
- Experience with complex project management
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and follow-through and ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and manage a growing staff
Preferred qualifications and skills
- Experience working at a youth organizing or youth-serving organization
- Pre-existing knowledge of local L.A. County landscape and issues impacting L.A. County’s BIPOC youth and existing relationships with a cross-sectoral stakeholders
- Fundraising experience and demonstrated success in cultivating funder relationships
- Experience developing and managing budgets of $1+ million dollars
- Ability to read and interpret data for public policy
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, fluid environment
To apply, please send an email with subject “Bold Vision Executive Director Application” and a cover letter, resume in one PDF attachment titled last_name_first_name_bv.pdf (e.g., Trujillo_Matt_bv.pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Questions about the role can be directed to Vanessa Ramirez, Recruitment Consultant, at email@example.com .