To ensure the safety and health of our employees during the COVID-19 pandemic, First 5 LA employees will continue to work remotely through the end of 2021. Subject to changing public health conditions, First 5 LA plans to transition to a hybrid work organization beginning in 2022. At that time, this position may require travel locally, statewide, and nationally, as needed.
First 5 LA does not permit employees to work remotely out of state. Upon acceptance of an offer from First 5 LA, we require proof of in-state residency. If the residence is located outside of the Greater Los Angeles area, an employee working remotely must provide assurance that they will be able to begin working onsite in the First 5 LA building when needed when we transition to a hybrid work organization.
Remote work is at the sole discretion of First 5 LA.
Mandatory Vaccination Requirements:
First 5 LA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they are entitled to a reasonable accommodation under applicable law.
Under the direction from the Director of Information Technology, First5LA’s Help Desk Support Specialist is responsible for providing a high level of customer service and for installing, configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining Microsoft Windows and Mac OS laptops and workstations. The position provides front line support for all desktop hardware, software, desk phones, cellular phones, conference room audio-visuals, as well as other peripheral devices including but not limited to multi-functional copiers, printers, etc. The Helpdesk Support Specialist works closely with other members of the Information Technology Team to support all end user devices. The objective is to ensure that customer-focused value is maintained to the standards set forth by the COE.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The IT Help Desk Administrative Support is expected to exemplify the organizational values of collaboration, integrity, learning, and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the execution of their key areas of responsibility:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Provides first level contact and resolution to customer issues by efficient and timely management of the organization’s helpdesk ticketing system (FreshService)
- Should be available and responsive to immediate needs of customers
- Preserves and grows knowledge of helpdesk procedures, products and services
- Trains users in basic software features, as well as the basic care and operation of desktop and laptop computers, printers and other related peripherals
- Interacts with other internal groups, IT staff, contractors and vendors to resolve technical problems
- Acts as first point of contact for all First 5 LA IT helpdesk calls, tickets, requests and needs
- Communicates, logs, tracks, routes and redirects problems to appropriate resources
- Updates service request data and produces activity reports
- Walks customers through problem solving process
- Follows up with customers, provides feedback and sees problems through to resolution
- Maintains the organization’s desktop computing environment which includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining and upgrading all hardware and equipment while ensuring optimal performance
- Diagnoses and resolves client issues in an efficient and professional manner
- Provides end user training and assistance where required including receiving, prioritizing, documenting and actively resolving end user helpdesk requests and escalating incidents when appropriate and necessary to maintain SLA expectations
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Under general supervision this position may be called upon to support the organization’s Data Center, Network Servers, Wireless and Applications groups in various aspects as needed.
- Provides on-call support when needed.
- Assists with the deployment of new mobile devices
- Coordinates staff onboarding and offboarding with other members of the IT Team and HR
- Develops and maintains hardware asset inventory and other IT related equipment on a regular basis to ensure IT’s equipment is accurately accounted for, and to assist in managing equipment purchases
- Performs configuration and general troubleshooting of iPhones, iPads and broadband devices
- Installs computer peripherals for users
- Gains feedback from customers
- Provides Audio-Visual support for meetings when necessary
- Properly escalates unresolved issues to the next level of support
- Ensures proper recording, documentation and closure of issues
- Recommends procedure modifications or improvements
- Documents solutions and incorporates into a knowledgebase
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations
- Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values diverse perspectives
- Adheres to policies and procedures to ensure alignment with State regulations, local ordinances and First 5 LA directives
- Keeps apprised of all laws, regulations, statutes, rules and policies affecting First 5 LA and Proposition 10
- Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
- Collaborates both internally and with external stakeholders to capture, synthesize and share learning and knowledge outcomes from the ongoing execution of all activities as necessary
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Role Specific Content: Ability to perform day-to-day user requests support and optimal customer service and ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organization; ability to analyze and troubleshoot issues by collaborating with team members, including external resources; strong problem solving, analysis and communication skills; demonstrated technical aptitude and troubleshooting techniques; detailed knowledge of network infrastructure and securities; utilizes excellent customer service skills and exceed customers' expectations; ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple issues concurrently; ability to work independently without direct guidelines; ability to maintain the confidential nature of all employees and company proprietary and privileged information used or observed in the course of performing job duties
- Content Knowledge: Competent in required job skills and knowledge; ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly; demonstrated ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; knows how to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively
- Planning and Organization and Project Management: Works in an organized manner with strong attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities; ability to effectively manage overlapping projects and deadlines; ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; integrates changes smoothly; sets goals and objectives; ability to manage high performance projects
- Commitment to organizational mission and values: Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for First 5 LA’s work to strengthen families and improve child outcomes; strives to model organizational values through daily actions and behaviors
- Possesses customer-focused mindset: Is aware of and considers relevant internal & external stakeholders and their needs (customers); identifies solutions to be responsive to stakeholder needs; considers impact when executing daily tasks
- Collaborative: Collaborates with peers to drive results in alignment with organizational and operational goals in support of the organization’s mission; is able to work in cross-functional teams; is able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, public officials and the general public
- Communicates effectively: Communicates effectively both written and oral; demonstrates active listening and comprehension; selects and uses appropriate communication methods to keep others appropriately informed; able to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences
- Demonstrates integrity and judgment: Follows through on commitments letting others know of his/her true intentions; ensures decision-making or recommendations are fact-based and others understand the decision/recommendation before moving forward; considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Demonstrates critical thinking: Applies critical thinking, logic and reasoning to effectively think through problems and information; identifies relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches
- Demonstrates strategic thinking: Considers issues and relationships relevant to achieving long range goals or vision; identifies alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values to layout several points of view on a course of action to accomplish goals
- Demonstrates Contribution to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Supports equal and active participation of people and groups with diverse identities, race, ethnicities, abilities, characteristics, cultures, socio-economic status, opinions, and beliefs; continuously challenges assumptions, and is mindful of unconscious bias, and leverages differences; understands historical and current context and root causes of inequities within society, systems and institutions; values a diversity of perspectives and encourages contributions by all team members
- Minimum of four years of experience in IT Help Desk Support preferred
- Previous work in the government, public entity, advocacy, non-profit or philanthropic organizations preferred
- Experience working in a structured, process-driven environment
- A Bachelor’s/Associate’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited college in a related field preferred
- Experience with setup, configurations, troubleshooting of desktop, laptops, hardware, software, and IOS devices in a networked environment (Windows & some Mac OS)
- Windows OS (Windows 10)
- Network Infrastructure, Active Directory, IP addressing and subnet schemes
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to use virtual engagement formats (e.g., Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Sli-do, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 and Office 365, including inTunes, Azure and other cloud-based applications.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft SharePoint
- Internet Explorer and other widely used and supported browsers
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- A+ Certification™ or equivalent
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or equivalent
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or equivalent
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or MCSA preferred
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions
- Valid automobile liability insurance
- This position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
- This position will be remote during the calendar year 2021. When staff return to on-site work, this position requires travel locally, statewide and nationally as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will sit, talk, hear and use hands up to 2/3 of the time. The employee will stand and walk up to 1/3 of the time. The employee is routinely required to carry and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.