The Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation (LADF), established in 1995 and significantly reimagined in 2012, is a leading model for philanthropy and community engagement. With the goal of reaching all of Los Angeles and to be a model for sports teams worldwide, LADF is bigger than baseball. Focusing on education, health care, homelessness, and youth development, LADF has ambitions to be the city’s premier charity. LADF has invested more than $35 million in programs and grants to nonprofits, and fundraising has increased by 1,000% since 2012. LADF was awarded ESPN’s Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year (2020), Beyond Sport’s Sport for Reduced Racial Inequalities Collective Impact Award (2020), and the Aspen Institute Project Play Champion (2020), and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Sports Award (2021).
LADF is in the midst of an exciting period of growth and seeks a Director of Evaluation and Impact to further develop, prioritize and operationalize its strategic plan and play a critical role in managing LADF’s overall impact. As a result, LADF seeks an experienced strategic leader to create additional capacity at the vision-setting level of the organization.
The Director of Evaluation and Impact advises and works across all departments throughout LADF to implement best practices around outcomes-based planning, tracking, evaluation and learning. As LADF refines its programs, grantmaking and fundraising strategies to deliver on its mission, this role will provide program evaluation and data management to lead the development and implementation of performance management systems to monitor activities and measure output across various programs and initiatives. The Director of Evaluation and Impact recommends well-informed and data-driven measurable steps for LADF to achieve growth, sustainability and visibility as outlined in the strategic plan, while focusing on a multitude of individual and overlapping projects.
Title: Director of Evaluation and Impact
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
- Manage and operationalize LADF’s strategic plan ensuring its continued implementation across all departments
- Collaborate closely with internal departments to identify indicators to monitor and measure LADF’s work
- Manage LADF’s Impact Framework prioritizing programs and initiatives, and including grantmaking and fundraising activity
- Develop, manage, and conduct high quality quantitative and qualitative data collection and evaluation tools and assessments (i.e. surveys and focus groups) from a variety of stakeholders
- Develop and actively monitor systems used to track and measure work
- Actively assist in collection of using data for storytelling purposes
- Manage relationships associated with external measurement and evaluation consultants
- Monitor and analyze existing data to identify trends and improve current activity
- Share promising strategies with appropriate departments
- Represent LADF at evaluation and research events and conferences; present and discuss LADF findings where applicable
- Develop and present impact reports and results to LADF team and stakeholders
- Scan and analyze external assessments, research and literature that can advance the mission of LADF, providing recommendations that inform decision-making and strategy
- Aid in the development of new projects providing necessary planning data to be included in overall thought process
- Keep pace with the “competition” and/or like-minded organizations with similar missions in order to make recommendations on the best course of action of provide comparable data when needed.
- Maintain, administer and train others on effective use of measurement systems
- Assume additional responsibilities as needed to support overall strategy and impact
Qualifications & Experience Needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- Analytical and strategic thinker with working knowledge of Social Emotional Learning, Youth Development and Community Engagement, and how it is effectively measured
- Knowledge and experience, including technical aspects, of research methodology, outcome measurement and evaluation
- Demonstrated skills in developing analytical processes, data collection, survey methods and evaluating data to arrive at sound recommendations
- Must be technology savvy, proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, experience using Salesforce a plus
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple deliverables while maintaining focus on the goals at hand
- Ability to interact, establish and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work respectfully with people from all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to manage external partners and cultivate new relationships
- Team player willing to work collaboratively with co-workers and supervisor
- A desire to achieve and lead others toward excellence
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills
- Flexibility in approach and willingness to adapt when necessary
- Proactive and action-oriented personality; strong sense of pace and urgency
- Occasional evenings and weekends may be necessary to perform role
- Strong passion for and commitment to LADF’s mission, programs, and values
- It is LADF’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Our core values are the fundamental beliefs upon which our foundation and its people operate.
We look for hardworking team members who share our passion.
- Opportunity - We know that talent is evenly distributed, but opportunity is not.
- Access - No recreational, education or health resource should be out of reach for any child.
- Equity - We aim to level the playing field and make sure that every kid has a fair shot.
- Collaboration - We believe that working well with others is the secret sauce to success.
- Impact - The work we do must create meaningful progress that is measurable. We want to support proven programs.
- Excellence - We hold ourselves to the highest standards across all our work, striving for quality and credibility.