Do you believe that community organizing, and volunteerism are transformative forces for good? Do you want to empower community members to be a part of the solution to homelessness? The Downtown Women's Center (DWC) is seeking a full-time Community Engagement Coordinator to oversee DWCs individual and group volunteer administration and to identify and fill volunteer needs across the agency, in partnership with the Community Engagement Manager and staff across DWCs programs.
Reporting directly to the Community Engagement Manager, this position works within DWCs Development and Communication department to build community partnerships and to help tell the story of DWCs volunteer program. We welcome applicants of diverse backgrounds who can speak to their experience building relationships and coordinating projects, and who are committed to ending homelessness for women in Los Angeles. Please submit a resume and cover letter combined in one document through DWCs application portal. This role will require a combination of remote and on-site work at DWCs Downtown LA office.
- Manage communication and coordination with both individual and group volunteers, connecting volunteers with remote and on-site opportunities and building relationships with diverse supporters.
- Facilitate partnerships and donations for DWCs meals program in collaboration with kitchen staff. Oversee return of on-site group kitchen volunteers, beginning in 2022.
- Work with DWC staff, particularly volunteer supervisors, across departments to identify volunteer opportunities and fill volunteer shifts.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to promote volunteer opportunities and spotlight volunteer stories, images, and testimonials.
- Develop volunteer appreciation opportunities and implement best practices for volunteer stewardship and retention.
- Work closely with Community Engagement Manager to oversee COVID-safe return of on-site group volunteer opportunities.
- Collect and report volunteer data, including service hours, volunteer activities, group volunteer donations, and volunteer-specific equity and diversity metrics.
- Collaborate with the Development team to track and monitor volunteer engagement within DWCs donor database and to identify overlap with individual and corporate volunteers. Strategize ways to engage and elevate volunteers to donors and to solicit donations as needed.
- Provide additional assistance as needed with activities that further DWCs Resource and Development initiatives.
- Support the Community Engagement Manager with coordination of large-scale annual volunteer opportunities, including the Homeless Count, Needs Assessment, and advocacy opportunities that require collaboration with partnering agencies and government entities.
- Assist with conducting research on individuals, corporations, and foundations for potential community partnerships. Cultivate partnerships in collaboration with Development team.
- Provide presentations, host tours, and assist with volunteer orientations and trainings (as needed) to educate supporters on women's homelessness and DWCs approach.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, and is eligible for DWCs comprehensive benefits package that includes training, paid time off, medical, vision, dental, parking and transportation benefits. This role will require a combination of remote and on-site work at DWCs Downtown LA office.
Schedule: Monday-Friday from 9:00am to 5:30pm, with occasional (typically no more than 1-2 times per month) flexibility to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
Must-Have Experience and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a track record of building meaningful relationships
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including comfort with public speaking
- Strong problem-solving skills, and ability to meet deadlines and maintain attention to detail amidst competing priorities
- Comfort coordinating (including via email, phone, video call, and in-person) diverse internal and external stakeholders with a goal-oriented, collaborative approach
- Commitment to racial equity and social justice; recognition of the role of race, gender, and other identities in contributing to homelessness and inequity
- Commitment to DWC’s mission to end homelessness for women in greater Los Angeles through housing, wellness, employment, and advocacy
- Cultural Humility
- Must be a California resident and live at least 75 miles from DWC’s office; must be available for in-person meetings.
- Must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test result from the last seven days, on first day of hire.
- Must provide documentation of a negative TB test result within the last twelve months, on first day of hire.
- Must have received at least the first dose of COVID-19 vaccination to start employment with DWC, and second dose must be received within 30 days from the first day of hire.
- Experience supervising or coordinating volunteers: this could include a background in a nonprofit environment, community organizing, student group leadership, or other related experience. Candidates without this experience are encouraged to include in their cover letter how their experience/skills in project coordination and relationship management would make them successful in this role.
- Excellent written communication skills, including an ability to tailor communication style based on audience
- Prior experience with database administration and/or tracking and reporting data
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
Downtown Women’s Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants and actively seeks candidates who reflect the rich diversity of the communities that we serve. We are committed to a work environment that embraces and promotes individuality and inclusion. We believe that diversity and inclusion of varied perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences is essential to our organization’s effectiveness, and allows us to serve our clients in the respectful, responsive, and understanding way that they deserve. We define diversity in broad terms to include race, ethnicity, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, mental or physical disability, marital status, pregnancy, military and veteran status, medical condition, geography, socio-economic status, and other unique attributes that make us who we are.
Downtown Women’s Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.