Job Title: Director of Communications
Job Type: Full-time
Kidspace Children’s Museum seeks an experienced, growth-oriented communications professional to lead our expanding marketing, public relations, and audience engagement efforts. The Director of Communications is a leadership role focused on cultivating Kidspace’s brand image, diversifying and enlarging our audience, and elevating our status in the community. They will be responsible for the development, execution, and measurement of innovative and impactful marketing and communication strategies that further our growth aspirations and our mission to nurture the potential of all children through kid-driven experiences. Utilizing direct outreach, community partnerships, and media placement, the Director of Communications will lead our efforts to engage a diverse community authentically and inclusively. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of success analyzing audience needs, crafting content and messaging to meet those needs, and measuring results across multiple platforms and metrics.
Please include in your application samples of your marketing and communications writing and links to your published work online.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively contributes to building a culture of inclusivity, welcome, collaboration, and play
- Leads a small in-house team in the development of brand-supporting marketing and public-facing communication across owned and social channels, digital and print advertising, and print collateral
- Writes and edits effective, original educational, marketing, and web content
- Develops marketing strategies that support brand-building, institutional initiatives, community engagement, and revenue targets
- At a strategic level, develops relevant measurements and targets, tracks performance of media and ROI on advertising, analyzes outcomes, and effectively iterates messages and tactics to meet established goals
- Distills marketing strategy into seasonal and annual marketing plans and content calendars and socializes them across the institution
- Oversees our web platform and works across the organization to develop ongoing original content for key audiences
- Leads creation of social media content that expands our audience and earns attention by adding value to the lives of children and their caregivers
- Contributes marketing and audience insights to the development of exhibition content and programming
- Crafts and oversees audience research designed help us better serve our community, especially those we do not currently reach
- Manages media contacts and expands our access to earned media
- Represents Kidspace at media events and handles press requests
- Mentors team members to further the long-term professional growth of Kidspace staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Models and promotes strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Delivers projects according to agreed timelines and objectives
- Demonstrates the ability to direct internal and external designers, copywriters, and UX developers
- Is able to identify and craft key messages into effective prose for varying audiences
- Manages marketing budgets and reports on ROI for marketing efforts
- Synthesizes marketing and audience research for executive stakeholders and recommends actions
- Has familiarity with the communities we serve, including Pasadena, East Los Angeles, Glendale, and the San Gabriel Valley
Minimum Job Requirements:
- 4–6 years of experience planning and producing multi-platform marketing campaigns for events and/or cultural organizations
- Demonstrated experience managing external vendors and partners
- A track record of delivering innovative marketing approaches with measurable outcomes
- Experience managing data, org charts, and financial reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language
- Spanish verbal and written skills are preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or equivalent field is preferred.
For over 40 years, Kidspace Children’s Museum has been a welcoming place for exploration and discovery, serving millions of children and their families. Join a team that creates hands-on play and learning experiences that are relevant, joyful, inspiring, and that involve guests in their own process of discovery. Kidspace is an equal opportunity employer and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to building a culture of play on a foundation of anti-racist policies and practices.