Ready to Succeed (RTS) is a Career + Personal development program that aims to build career pathways, community and self-confidence for foster youth currently attending 4 year colleges. Through a unique combination of personalized career coaching, connections to a robust network of industry professionals, placement in paid internships and access to financial and mental health resources, RTS Scholars graduate with the know-how, networks and navigation skills they need to hit the ground running and launch strong careers and meaningful lives.
Ready to Succeed is seeking a creative, energetic, and strategic Director of Development + Partnerships who will lead all fundraising + partnership building efforts during an exciting growth phase of our organization’s development. The Director of Development will be a member of the senior leadership team and work closely with the co-founders, board, and our communication/marketing team to coordinate all fundraising activities and partnership building initiatives.
For more information about Ready to Succeed, please visit us at www.readytosucceedla.org
What you’ll be doing:
Fundraising + Donor Stewardship (70%)
- Develop and execute annual fundraising plan to achieve Ready to Succeed’s annual budget
- Develop and implement effective fundraising appeals (both written and online) that will lead to sustained and upgraded giving
- Personally solicit and sustain/increase donations from an existing portfolio of individual donors and research and identify new prospects.
- Conduct prospect research to identify new potential donors and determine appropriate ask amounts for existing prospects and move them through all aspects of the fundraising cycle.
- Increase our portfolio of Major gift donors, identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding principal and major gift prospects and current major donors.
- Maintain and increase our portfolio of foundation partners, overseeing our grants calendar and managing our part time grant writer to create all proposals, reports, acknowledgements and updates.
- Maintain a CRM to track all donations and donor activity and ensure all donor records and files are up to date
- Plan and execute donor cultivation events, such as in person and, zoom “friendraising” events along with 3 annual fundraising events and appeals (August, December, May)
- Help develop a corporate sponsorship strategy with current and prospective partners.
Board Management + Development (10%)
- Work closely with the RTS board to ensure they have the assets and messaging needed at all times to be advocates and fundraisers for RTS.
- Ensure board members have all the necessary talking points and materials to successfully engage with current and potential donors.
- Work with the Board chair to develop and implement board meeting schedules and agendas and ensure board committees have clear goals and objectives.
- Help identify and solicit new potential board members.
- Work with the marketing team (in house and contractors) to create and implement new fundraising and sponsorship materials.
- Work with the marketing team to create a content + communications strategy, calendar and all assets (written and video) to be included in all appeals, newsletters and other forms of communications to inform, inspire and provide engagement and giving opportunities to our large database of donors and contacts.
- You’re a good fit for the job if you are:
- Entrepreneurial. You have lots of ideas and know-how to turn them into reality. You’re a self-starter and see problems as opportunities to try another idea.
- Relationship builder. You understand relationships are at the core of any successful business and instinctively know how to build strong business and personal relationships. You’re a natural collaborator, curious, and believe that for you to win, the team has to win. You inspire others to follow your vision.
- Experienced. You have significant experience in fundraising, sales, business development, and/or strategic partnerships. You are a relationship builder with a deep understanding of how to create and move prospects through a pipeline and think creatively to engage them and move them through the fundraising cycle.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
- Organized and efficient. You know how to manage multiple complex projects meeting tight deadlines.
- Passionate. You care about marginalized communities and foster youth. You care about changing lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day.
- Fun. The work we do is serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should, too.
- Some specific knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree + 3-5 years of experience in a fundraising position, with strong preference for experience at the manager or above level
- Experience with both individual and institutional fundraising strongly preferred
- Proven success in developing and implementing appeals through both traditional and emerging methodologies strongly preferred
- Basic knowledge of communications and marketing techniques necessary, with preference for work experience in the area of development communications or nonprofit marketing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required (a writing sample may be required of final candidates)
- Mastery of all Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Suite Expertise/experience working with
- Salesforce strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute small and midsize donor cultivation events
- You’ll have support:
- The Director of Development will supervise one Development coordinator and a part-time grant writer. As needed, you may oversee the work of fundraising-related consultants or volunteers for specific projects. Additional fundraising staff could be hired in the future.
This is an exempt full-time established role at RTS. Our workweek is typically M-F, 9 am to 5:30 pm. Occasional evenings and weekend work may be required. Compensation range is commensurate with experience RTS with salary range between $70,000 - $85,000.
RTS offers a generous vacation allotment (begins at 15 days), 3 weeks holiday (includes two weeks in December and July 4th week), 9 Federal holidays, as well as other benefits including HRA, Simple IRA with dollar-for-dollar match up to 3%, cell phone stipend and more.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the government recommendations, this role will be a Hybrid (in person/virtual) position. The expectation is that this role will be based in-person, in the office, and at external meetings/events, once it is deemed safe to fully return to the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Our current office is in Santa Monica, CA. Travel to external meetings, with stakeholders and potential donors, will be required.
Ready to Succeed LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.